Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bf and pumping for 7.5 month old, blister, maybe done

Default bf and pumping for 7.5 month old, blister, maybe done

First of all good morning and thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm a mom to two, a 4.5 year old who I nursed for a year and a 7.5 month old. I'm currently nursing my 7.5 month old (nursing and pumping while at work), and the last couple of weeks have been a real trial.

First at the beginning of this month I received my first pp period, and I noticed a drop in my pumping output as well as Gavyn didn't seem to want to nurse as much. I think his not wanting to nurse as much could be related to teething, but I'm not sure. Anyway, when I would typically pump around 5-6 oz at my first pump of the day, that week I was only able to get 4.5, but still managing to get around 11.5 to 12 oz a day. I've been managing to keep up with his two 6 oz bottles a day because I'm going at lunch to nurse him.

This week daycare (home-based) is going on several field trips meaning I need to send a third bottle. This will probably deplete my frozen stockpile and I left a sample of formula with her today in case she needs to supplement.

I also developed a blister of some sort on the side of one nipple. I think this reinforces that he's teething and has changed his latch somehow. It hurts like the dickens, and when I just pumped my morning pump there was some blood. I'm using lanolin, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't think its a milk blister because aren't those typically on the top of the nipple with milk underneath? This is on the side and just looks like a little red lump.

Then this morning (after only two weeks) I seem to have gotten another period. I'm basically feeling pretty downtrodden and think that Gavyn may be weaning or that my body is telling me that we're done. I'm not ready though, and really want to avoid formula. Any ideas or support is appreciated!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Default Re: bf and pumping for 7.5 month old, blister, maybe done

It sounds to me like the middle-of-the-first-year slump. That happens, when baby starts teething and either the latch changes, mom introduces food or baby starts STTN or mom gets AF back, or a combination of the above. Baby starts not nursing as much, mom thinks baby is weaning, mom gives up, and none of that has to happen with a little support.

AF can drop your supply. Some moms find that a calcium/magnesium supplement helps with that. Also, try Mother's Milk tea, some herbs, oatmeal, things like that to help boost your supply the week before you might have an AF (although it's totally normal to be completely irregular when it's still getting going).

Try getting baby to nurse during the night. That helps increase your supply. Cosleep if you don't already, as just the skin-to-skin can help.

Add in a pumping session if you can, maybe nights or weekends or both, just for a few weeks.

For the blister/bleb...it could be either. The location just indicates where the increase in pressure is, and it could be from bottom teeth, or baby's tongue. And it is probably from a change in your baby's latch. I used to get rubbed raw when my babies would get teeth. For that, the solution is being extremely careful about how baby latches on. Like watch and be sure the latch is good. Then to heal it, I personally use Neosporin, actually. Lanolin is good, but the Neosporin really fixed it up. And you may need to be careful about how you "latch" the pump on for a few days.

I also always tell moms who were doing fine supply-wise and are now suddenly not to make sure they are not pregnant

You can get through this!! Your body isn't in charge..you are.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! I have decided to add in a pumping session before bed (last night didn't go so well because Gavyn woke up right after I finished). I'm also trying Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle and oatmeal.

I wondered about the neosporin. Would I need to wash it off before nursing?
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

I didn't. It's made from stuff that isn't really absorbed in the gut.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just wanted to share that something is working! I've been eating oatmeal, taking the fenugreek/blessed thistle, and pumping an extra pump each night since Monday night. Yesterday I was able to pump 15.5 oz at work! This morning with my morning pump I got 6 oz and I haven't gotten that in over a month! I'm so relieved!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Keep track of your AF and see if that's what causing these little slumps. Some moms start taking the extra steps at ovulation, others a week ahead of AF to try to head it off. Otherwise, stockpile when you can, use your stash when you need it and replace it later.

That's great that you are pumping more! See, no need to quit
    Susan