Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night pumping?

Default Night pumping?

My LO has been sleeping through the night since about 7 weeks, she's almost 11(tomorrow) now. Can I drop my middle of the night pump without throwing my supply for a loop? I am pumping way more than she needs, between 32 and 50oz more a day.

Thank you,

Tara

Default Re: Night pumping?

Are you exclusively pumping? If so, what is your pumping schedule?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I am EP'ing, since about 3 weeks. Tried to get LO back to the breast, but wasn't able. I EP'd for my twins for 17 months, so it was easy to get back into the routine. I pump every 3 hours during the day, with my last pump between 10-11 at night. I get up at 2 to pump and again at 6am. If I were to stop, I would plan my last pump of the night for 10:30. I want to pump for a year, then plan to use the extra I've pumped until it's gone. LO is 1 at the end of April, and I should have enough store by then to go a nice long while.

Thank you for your reply.

Tara

Hey Tara,

I would make sure you are pumping at least 6-7 times a day for now. Watch your supply closely; if you start dropping off, you could add a mid-night session back in. I'll let a more experienced EP mom chime in, but my daughter was sleeping through the night by 11 weeks, and (while I wasn't EPing, mind you) I never got up to pump once she did.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

with the PP. I think you can safely drop it, especially since you are producing so much milk. But watch your supply carefully. If it really declines, just add that middle of the night session back in.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would drop it. However, when I did that, my supply came back to a more manageable 40 oz a day instead of over 70 oz! I don't know if it was just time passing and normal evening out of my supply or because I moved the 3 AM session to combine with a midnight and 7 AM. My baby had been STTN at the time I did that...he's not now, so just be aware that that can happen.

I am constantly amazed that there are people who don't mind EPing. I think it stinks!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm just curious, how much do you pump in one session?

IME, the amount you pump per session depends on your body, your pump, your time of day, your relaxation, etc. The average woman makes 1 to 1.5 oz per hour, with maybe a little more at night. I know I get about 14 at my first of the day and then 5 or so at each after that for a total of 32-40, give or take. Some days I have more than enough, other days I use a little freezer milk.

It is TERRIBLY important that if you are EPing that you NOT drop a night time pump, between 12 AM and 5 AM, until after 12 weeks unless you have a big oversupply. If you drop that session -- where you take advantage of your natural prolactin levels to increase your supply (and decrease your natural fertility ) -- before your supply is very well established, then you do run a very real risk of not having enough milk to carry you through your EPing time. I know it stinks to be up, particularly if baby is STTN, just to pump, but if you are EPing, you have to make that pump work for you because it's not as good as a baby would be for your supply, and that means you might have to pump at night for a while until you are sure your supply is steady.

And don't just drop a session. Move it slowly to combine with another, and you'll be able to pump a good amount of milk. Probably not double what you would normally pump, but if you were pumping 4 oz and 4 oz, you will, with time and care, get probably 6 oz at that session you combined the two into. Does that make sense?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

First thing in the morning I usually get 6-7oz/breast by the end of the day, 4-5oz. Unless I sleep through my 2am pump, which I did last night and I pumped about 24oz total, this morning.

I decided to keep the night pump, despite the huge overage in milk supply. We decided instead of paying 8.49 for 4 litres of organic milk for my 2 year old twins, we'd just put them back on breast milk.

Tara

Can't get much more organic than mama's milk
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos