Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend your breastpump

Default Recommend your breastpump

I'm actually doing a little research for my sister who is getting ready to have her first baby. She will be taking 6 weeks off with little one and then going back to work (3 days a week, 12 hr shifts). I have a PISA that I like but she would rather not spend that much money. Any recs for a good pump that is under $200? What do you or don't you like about it? Thanks!

Default Re: Recommend your breastpump

I got my PISA for $250 using a 20% off coupon at babies r us. Well, I actually got it for free - because I used the BRU gift cards I got There is a site some moms here use where you can get one for cheap too - I don't know the name of it though. IMHO, a good double electric pump is really a necessity if she's going back to work. And if she's willing to spend $200 what's $50 more?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Lansinoh, which is the same as an Ameda Purely Yours, is about $150 and can be bought at Walmart or Target or BRU, so if she got gift cards, she wouldn't even have to pay the full price. Then combine it with a BRU 20% off coupon, and she can have a Lansinoh very cheaply. I have one, and it's a good pump. I'd use it more if the flanges came in a 36.

I would suggest she buy the best possible pump, as during a 12 hour shift, she will need to pump at least 3 times, and 4 is even better, particularly at 6 weeks PP.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I got my PISA for $210 or $230 (can't remember) @ www.bestbuybaby.com
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I have a Pump In Style that I got when Riley was 6 months old and it worked fine for another 6 months, and has worked great so far with Gavyn. I started out with a Lansinoh with Riley and it broke at 6 months. If she's going to be using it every day at least 3 times or more I would say spend the extra $50 for the Medela. They really work wonders.

Another option could be renting?
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Renting costs a lot more. $45 to $80 a month. Within 6 months, she could have paid for a pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a PISA which has worked great for me. I used it for over 8 months with DS and have been using it for 8 months with DD. I know they cost more, but the pump really is a workhorse. When I consider how many bottles of EBM the pump has provided both LO's over the cumulative 16 months, it really was a bargain.

I got a Freestyle when they first came out from www.addalittlelove.com for about $100 less than the retail price. Perhaps she should check there to see what prices are being offered on PISA; it could be less expensive than other places.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

She can now deduct the price of the breast pump as a medical expense from her income taxes, if that would make buying a PISA more attractive.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Medela is not the end all be all breast pump everyone thinks they are. There are perfectly good pumps well under $200.

I've not used the Lansinoh mentioned earlier, but I have used the Ameda Purely Yours for both of my children. It's never given me trouble. Easy to keep clean too because of the closed milk collection system. So, basically it's a safer, more compact, cleaner, and cheaper pump than the Medela's. Why oh why does everyone think Medela is the "bees knees"?

Good marketing I guess.

I've posted this before, but it's still good info: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/b...pping-tips.htm