Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shaking Milk Bottles

Default Shaking Milk Bottles

I read that you aren't supposed to shake up the milk, but rather just "swirl" it around in the bottle.

I don't see how that's possible though. All of the fat clumps around the top of the storage bottles (that I keep in the fridge overnight), and swirling it does not mix it together at all.

How else am I supposed to mix it before putting it into the daycare bottles? What do other people do?
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Default Re: Shaking Milk Bottles

My sister shook the bottles prior to warming them and then prior to giving them to her baby.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I shake 'em. We had a convo about this a while back - I don't see how shaking the milk can break chemical bonds.

If you warm the milk first, it will incorporate easier w/o having to shake as much.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I read that it damages or kills the live immune cells, which after working with cell prep for cellular and molecular imaging, I could actually believe.

The way we did it is that if you hold the bottle under a warm tap-doesn't usually need to be very long either, not long enough to heat the milk but just the fat stuck to the sides-and swirl while heating the fat it came right off and dissolved back in very easily. Hope that helps!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I'll try running it under some warm water tomorrow and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip!
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I agree, warming it up seems to help it incorporate without as much hard shaking. So I would have my DH warm and THEN swirl/gently shake. I just figure the goal is to handle it as little as possible, but sometimes the swirling has to be more vigorous than other times.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

The way we did it is that if you hold the bottle under a warm tap-doesn't usually need to be very long either, not long enough to heat the milk but just the fat stuck to the sides-and swirl while heating the fat it came right off and dissolved back in very easily.
    I just did this and it worked beautifully! Thank you for the awesome tip!

Apparently shaking it starts the digestion process prematuraly. Makes sense I guess, seeing as pureeing food also starts the digestion by breaking down the natural fibers of the food.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!