Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy at the breast

Default Fussy at the breast

Hi again. My LO is not 4 weeks old. Yesterday he started fussing at the breast. He would kind of cry and then start nursing again. He would sometimes pull and squirm around while nursing. I'm not sure if this indicates gas, a belly ache, or low supply. We had a very rough night last night. He slept for 2 hours, nursed for 2 hours and then we tried rocking and putting him on the swing. He finally pooped and then went to sleep but woke every hour to nurse. At 5:30am he was up and did not want to go back to sleep. Today he's been fussy at the breast too but not as much as yesterday. He's currently asleep while grandma rocks him. I'm exhausted...I'm sure he is too. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ease what seems to be discomfort? Could I have a low supply? He's been gaining about 4 oz a week for the last 2 weeks and nurses all day and night on demand.

Default Re: Fussy at the breast

Fussing at the breast could be caused by a few things. Do you pump? Has your LO been bottle fed? Is he fussing now at every feeding? Can you burp him when he's fussing, and if so does that relieve the fussing for a bit?

I pump once a day after the early morning feeding. I usually get between 2-3 oz at that time. He has not been bottle fed yet. He does not use a pacifier either. He's fussing about every other feeding. I do burp him and it sometimes helps. I'm hoping it's just an immature gut. I know that I don't have an oversupply. I'm one of those people that never gets engorged or leaks. Even when my "milk came in" I didn't feel engorged...just a little more full than normal.

This website covers a lot of possibilities:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Try burping between sides, or maybe a different burping technique? My DS did that too, but we figured it was colic - apparantly it was just a stage? It was SO FRUSTRATING. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to give up because I thought it was my fault.

Hang in there; it will get better...whether it's a stage or burping or gas, you'll figure it out
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Thanks. He still is fussing but not as much. It seems to be gas or stomach pain. He's wetting enough so I believe he's getting enough to eat. I've been taking him off when he starts pulling and burping him. Sometimes he burps and sometimes I just switch sides.
    Hopefully it is a stage.
    He still is only giving us a 2 hour stretch of sleep at night but I'm crossing my fingers it'll get better. He's a month old now.