Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7.5 month old trying to wean, blister

Default 7.5 month old trying to wean, blister

First of all good morning and thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm a mom to two, a 4.5 year old who I nursed for a year and a 7.5 month old. I'm currently nursing my 7.5 month old (nursing and pumping while at work), and the last couple of weeks have been a real trial.

First at the beginning of this month I received my first pp period, and I noticed a drop in my pumping output as well as Gavyn didn't seem to want to nurse as much. I think his not wanting to nurse as much could be related to teething, but I'm not sure. Anyway, when I would typically pump around 5-6 oz at my first pump of the day, that week I was only able to get 4.5, but still managing to get around 11.5 to 12 oz a day. I've been managing to keep up with his two 6 oz bottles a day because I'm going at lunch to nurse him.

This week daycare (home-based) is going on several field trips meaning I need to send a third bottle. This will probably deplete my frozen stockpile and I left a sample of formula with her today in case she needs to supplement.

I also developed a blister of some sort on the side of one nipple. I think this reinforces that he's teething and has changed his latch somehow. It hurts like the dickens, and when I just pumped my morning pump there was some blood. I'm using lanolin, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't think its a milk blister because aren't those typically on the top of the nipple with milk underneath? This is on the side and just looks like a little red lump.

Then this morning (after only two weeks) I seem to have gotten another period. I'm basically feeling pretty downtrodden and think that Gavyn may be weaning or that my body is telling me that we're done. I'm not ready though, and really want to avoid formula. Any ideas or support is appreciated!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Default Re: 7.5 month old trying to wean, blister

I don't think he is trying to wean and I don't think that your body is trying to wean either. If you aren't going to nurse at lunch, can you add a third pumping session in? Are you pumping on the weekends?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Your body doesn't want to wean unless a) you're pregnant or b) you let it. When a mom is home with her baby, she can rely on the baby to nurse more frequently when her supply dips, bringing supply back up to where it needs to be. When a mom is working away from her baby, she needs to mimic that pattern of increased demand using the pump. So, pump more often, for longer time periods.

The blister you describe sounds like it could be a blood blister. These often crop up when the baby is teething and soothing his sore gums of mom, but it also can result from friction during pumping. You might want to reevaluate whether or not your shields are a good fit, or try luging your nipples with some olive oil when pumping to decrease friction. Don't let the blood freak you out- it won't hurt the baby to consume it, and it only takes a little bit to tint your milk a truly shocking pink.

The one thing that has me from your post is the 2 periods in 2 weeks. It's normal for your cycle to be a bit wonky when it first returns, with cycles that are longer or shorter than normal, and periods that are lighter or heavier than your pre-baby days. But if you continue to have sort of erratic bleeding, I would consider seeing your midwife or obstetrician. Are you on any form of hormonal birth control, including Mirena? Hormonal birth control can cause mid-month spotting or bleeding.

Thanks ladies! I am planning to pump at least 3 more times today, making 4 total. Usually when I do that I can get around 15 oz. I don't usually pump on the weekends or at all when I'm at home. I like to use that time to reconnect with baby and just let him nurse. But I'm thinking maybe tonight before I go to bed I'll pump.

The blood blister sounds right. Thanks!

I'm on the minipill for contraception, that's why I'm really confused about the period thing. I'm thinking its just my cycle being a little nuts. I just don't want it to affect my supply more than it already has.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

You could be getting break through bleeding with the minipill. Also, it can impact your supply, some women have noticed that with the minipill.

I was having trouble pumping out enough and ended up adding a pump on the weekends, just to make it easier to pump what I needed during the work day. I know it's nicer to just reconnect when you're home, but I typically pump when the baby is having her nap. Saturday mornings I have to pump anyway, since I take my 2.5 year old to a mommy and me class, so now I just pump on Fridays and Sundays too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

with the PP. I know people say "Oh, the mini-pill won't hurt your supply" but it seems like a fair number of moms have a different experience. FWIW, the "period" you have when you're on hormonal contraception isn't a period in the normal sense. It's withdrawal bleeding caused by the decrease in synthetic hormones circulating through your system. So what you're experiencing really is not your normal menstrual cycle.

Thanks. I was thinking of stopping the micronor anyway. I went out today and picked up blessed thistle and fenugreek at the store. The doctor said that they won't give domperidone and they only prescribe reglan when you're just starting out. They recommended brewer's yeast as well, and lots of fluids. I think I'll just try these two to start and see where it goes.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10