Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At a loss...

Default At a loss...

I posted this a while back but she is STILL having issues with solids. And I have a few other questions as well..

I feed her a jar of baby food once a day usually, at dinner time. She doesn't take to eating solids during the day very well. Since she has started solids she has been having issues with constipation. Right now I'm trying to set her back because it's getting bad again and I'm not sure what is causing it. I've been giving her pears the past few days as her first "trial" to see how her poops are. I've been writing it down so I can (hopefully) find a pattern. I'm not sure if I should just take away solids altogether and wait until she's closer to 1 and that it's just her body that needs to mature more, or if her body just needs to adjust to the change. But then again, it's been almost 2 months with a 2 week or so break in the beginning. I worry about her not getting enough BM if I don't give her any solids. Sometimes she nurses every hour which makes me think that she needs more since she's getting older?? I've have supply issues in the past so maybe I'm just being overly paranoid.

Also, she goes through spurts where she spits up quite a bit then goes back to normal baby spit up or none at all. I'm wondering if I'm eating something that is bothering her or the baby food is bothering her tummy? A few times lately she has been spitting up to where it comes out of her nose and she chokes and tightens up her body and has a hard time breathing. She's only done that a few times, I tried using the booger sucker on her nose but I don't think she's stuffed up at all and I would think she would be doing it more often.

Ideas, please. I'm really running out of ideas.
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Default Re: At a loss...

Have you thought about doing baby led solids and just leaving it up to her? She'll eat them when she's ready.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yeah, she loves feeding herself. She's got chewing down good. I'm just nervous because I'm trying to figure out WHAT is causing her poop issues. For awhile she was eating dinner with us, and a jar of baby food if she couldn't eat what we were having. I just don't like seeing her scream in pain during a BM

11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Personally, I would stop all solids until she's back to normal. Then I would go back to B-L-S and give her something she can eat at dinner. She doesn't have to eat what you're eating.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'd focus on the P fruits- prunes, plums, pears, peaches, aPricots. I can also personally vouch for cherries and blueberries!

I'm not sure that BLS is the solution.. unless there is something in the jarred baby food that is causing it? I've had her on pears for a few days now and she's still pooping pebbles. Today at least she was crying, so that's a good thing. I don't have an issue with BLS at all and we do it sometimes but we are on WIC and get a TON of baby food that I might as well use and they won't supplement it for fresh fruits & veggies. I'm sure she's not the only one with these issues. The doctor is no help, another doctor said to try the P's which seemed to help at first but now it's back to square one.. unless something hasn't gotten out of her system yet.

Hi there! :-)
    Pebbles is not great poop but it's poop, I think it would be more alarming if she didn't poop at all?

If the baby is pooping pebbles it might be because she doesn't have enough gut microflora and this may be caused by many things, use of antibiotics, premature birth, formula feeding, eczema, food intolerance, etc... If she is really interested in solids maybe you should consider supplementing with Probiotics for a couple of weeks to restore that flora?
    Fermented foods contain natural probiotics but those can only be given when the baby is 8 to 10 months.

My reference is a book called "Special-Needs Kids go Pharm-Free" by Judy Converse, MPH, RD, LD

More details, in case you are interested:
    Place 1/8 teaspoon of bifidobacteria blend probiotic powder in the baby's feeding (food or milk) once a day. If it's well tolerated increase to 1/4 teaspoon.
    Look for bifidobacteria strains such as B. breve, B. infantis, B. longum and B. bifidum, and a potency of at least 8 billion CFUs (Colony forming units) per dose.
    Keep your baby away from the common L. acidophilus cause it's not well tolerated by infants, as well as any strains intended for adults.

Hope this helps a little!