Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to increase supply quickly!!!!

Unhappy Need to increase supply quickly!!!!

I am currently going to school full time and working part time. I am pumping when away, but my baby seems to use the whole supply everyday. Is there anything else that I can do to increase my milk supply? I have been trying the fenugreek, but no results yet I am getting discouraged but don't want to use a supplement. HELP!!!!!!

Default Re: Need to increase supply quickly!!!!

Wow! How wonderful that you are working and going to school AND expressing your milk for your baby! This is no small feat and you should be very proud that you do this!

First, how old is your baby?

I just want to clarify what you wrote: you said your baby uses the whole supply everyday. Does that mean that of what you have pumped today, the baby will take all of that milk tomorrow? Unless you would like extra milk on hand for back-up, this is really not a problem. Some moms are more comfortable when they have a little extra milk in the freezer. But the best milk to give your baby is fresh, milk that has not been frozen. If this is so, you are doing just fine with keeping up with your baby.

If you want to clarify these points I may be able to give you some more info!

How much is she drinking while you are away, and how old is she?

My baby is a little over 4 weeks old. And I am not sure exactly how much she is drinking. I have not really tried to take a measurement of that. I just know that everyday I find myself rushing home to hurry up and feed her. I would like to have just a little more milk so my husband (and I) won't feel so overwhelmed.

Oh, and I forgot...yes, all the milk I pump today, she will drink tomorrow...

Oh, I think what Kate and I were asking was how many ounces does baby drink while she is away from you? The reason we are wondering, is that oftentimes a baby will drink lots of expressed milk just because it is there and the caregiver keeps offering bottles to soothe baby, even when she is not hungry for milk. She might drink less if the caregiver tried lots of strategies in addition to the bottle (such as pacifier, rocking her, walking with her, swaddling, swinging, etc., for example).

Just a ball-park figure, if she is drinking a lot more than an ounce an hour, the caregiver might be able to cut that down a little. If that's not the issue, then here are some suggestions to increase your milk production:

Nurse as frequently as possible when you are with her. If you have extra time, adding some pumping to that will also increase your production. Since she is only 4 weeks, your milk supply is still pretty flexible, and you will make more milk if you keep taking more milk out. Emptier breasts = faster milk production = larger milk supply. Herbs can be helpful, but the most potent milk booster is removing more milk. Don't worry that you won't have enough milk in your breasts when your baby is hungry; your breasts are a factory and will make more milk as needed. If you are worried about this, just don't do any pumping for an hour before you expect her to nurse, or just pump out *some* of your milk rather than all of it.

I hope this helps! Let us know how you are doing!

Thanks for the answers!

So, if I understand you correctly, you just wish you had a little more milk stored up? Is that correct? You are not at a point where you feel like the baby is taking more than you are pumping, just taking all of what you have pumped from the day before. Is that right?

If this is a concern to you and you would like to have more milk on hand for ds, then I agree with Lynette's suggestions above.

Is ds taking any solids during the day?