Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have to go away for 8 or 9 days - will my LO forget how to latch?

Default Have to go away for 8 or 9 days - will my LO forget how to latch?

This is probably a stupid question, but I know that LOs forget how to latch after not nursing for a certain period of time...but how long? He won't forget in a week, will he? And will there be milk? Should I pump every day while I'm away to keep up the supply?

He LOVES mommy milk soooo much and I'd hate this (unavoidable) trip to mark the end of our nursing relationship. He's 27 months and I know everyone else is hoping the time away will make him forget about "all this milk nonsense" but personally I hope it continues until he's really ready to stop.

TIA
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Default Re: Have to go away for 8 or 9 days - will my LO forget how to latch?

Every mother and baby are different and no one can predict if your LO will wean while your away.
    I completely understand wanting to be able to return home and being able to nurse your LO.
    8 days without stimulating your milk supply will diminish it enough that your LO might not nurse b/c there will be no milk.
    If you pump every day and he doesn't want to nurse you will probably not have uncomfortably full breasts for too long.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: Have to go away for 8 or 9 days - will my LO forget how to latch?

with the PP. There's no telling what your child will do after 9 days off, but if he truly loves mommy milk I think there's a good chance that he'll get right back to it when you come home! Especially if you pump. Nine days without nursing at all is enough to seriously diminish supply for most moms. I would aim to pump at least as often as your LO nurses, if that is possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"