Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old wont take bottle or sippy cup

Default 9 month old wont take bottle or sippy cup

I work 3 days per week from 830 - 3. My 9 month old has never been great with a bottle but was drinking about 4-5 ounces when I was at work. I recently had 11 days off and exclusively nursed him. He has not taken the bottle or sippy cup (takes about 1/2 - 1ounce) for the 2 weeks I have been back to work. Any suggestions?
    I only have 2 weeks (6 days) of work left and then I have off until September. I will be working from 730 - 4 3 days per week starting then. I would prefer to exclusively nurse but do you think I need to offer a bottle or sippy every day?

Thanks!

Oh I should add that on days I work he does nurse when I get home at 3 and then again before bed at 7. He usually nurses 1-3 times at night as well. When I am home he nurses at 930am and 130pm as well.

Default Re: 9 month old wont take bottle or sippy cup

Does your baby show interest in your glass or cup while you're having a drink? If so, you might try working with him on an open glass or cup to see if he's more receptive. Do you offer water with solids?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Yes, he loves drinking out of my cup. Also, I do offer him a sippy with his meals and he drinks 1/2 - 1 ounce. He seems interested in the sippy cup but he just won't drink a lot at a time.

I would think about offering "watery" solids - I'm thinking about fruits like apples, peaches, watermelon, etc. That way if he doesn't drink that much, he won't get dehydrated and you can just make up the difference when you are back together again. Also, he's nursing through the night - some babies don't, but we don't worry about them not getting liquids during those hours.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

with giving watery solids. It also won't be such a huge deal by September, especially if he's doing well with solids and still nursing when you're together. Over the summer, you might just keep working with him on your preferred method. I'm currently using an open top glass/cup but for opposite reasons (she guzzles). Like you, I find that the baby takes less at a sitting - if that continues to be the case, you could simply ask your caregiver to make sure baby is offered milk/liquid frequently (unless you decide to continue with sippy). Good luck :-)
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

How does he do with being spoon-fed? We mixed a lot of Lilah's solids with breast milk to try and get more milk in her around that age. She never really liked the bottle either.

Also, have you checked your milk for lipase? Is it only your milk that he refuses or all liquids?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months