Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS vs. 6 month EBF guideline

Default BLS vs. 6 month EBF guideline

If your LO had all of the signs of developmental readiness at four or five months, would you offer him solids or hold off until 6 months? Why?

Default Re: BLS vs. 6 month EBF guideline

I would probably offer very small tastes of fruit or table food. Most 4-5 months will just push food back out with their tongue, a sign that they are not actually ready for solids. In the case of a 5.5 month old who seemed great with solids, I would go with BLS, starting slow. One of the most important parts of BLS is that you follow your baby's lead, rather than watching the calendar. That said, most five month olds enjoy tasting things, but aren't ready to start eating whole pieces of fruit, etc. Most people who feed solids to babies that age spoon feed them, and that's not BLS.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No. I wouldn't. I seriously doubt there is a 4month or 5 month old who shows ALL the signs. Sitting unassisted, AND has their pincher grasp mastered? Kid are usually JUST beginning to swing and bat at toys at that age. My son could sit unassisted at 4months. You still can't tell where his gut lining is. I wouldn't do it because I know he didn't need it and I wanted him to have just breast milk for as long as possible. Why put him at risk? When there is no reason to. Kids that age aren't MISSING OR WANTING other food. Even if they stare at you while you eat. Even if they REACH for it. They don't actually associate solid food with HUNGER until well after the year point IME. They reach for EVERYTHING you have. They are curious about all things. They will reach for a can of soda, not ready to drink that. Will reach for your keys. Not ready to drive. They don't KNOW what ANY of those things are. And even when they begin experimenting with solids, they still don't. It's just another thing to explore. Beside the world of solids is large and daunting and requires a ton of work IMO. I didn't want to taint him with anything less than perfect before I had a chance to really explore that. My breastmilk was Perfect food. I wanted to let him have that and only that and not have to worry about it for as long as possible. Because once you begin dealing with solids and nutrition, you are in it. For 18 years. Hold on to the last couple of months where all they need is YOU.

Way too lazy for formula

For my family, developmental readiness for solids was the ability to spit on command, blow the nose to clear mucous, pick foods up by themselves and not need foods to be mushed.
    Prior to that, I did occasionally pre-chew a food for my child and then give it to them.
    no one in my family was ready for solids at 4/5 months. it was more like 15-18 months.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I'm pretty relaxed about solids, so I did offer tastes prior to 6 months when my kid was showing signs of readiness. The key word being tastes. Not spoonfuls. A touch of strawberry ice cream on the tongue (I know, bad mommy!), a tiny swipe of mashed banana, a suck on a lemon. It was fun, the baby enjoyed it. Yes, even the lemon!

Waiting until 6 months is good in terms of maximizing the baby's intake of breastmilk, which is the healthiest thing a baby will ever eat. There is conflicting data about what it does for allergies- some studies have shown a protective effect, others have shown that there is protective effect from infptroducing them prior to 6 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

That "lemon face" is so priceless!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.