Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is there really relief in sight??

Default Is there really relief in sight??

Every time I think we're getting th e hang of this, something else pops up. Yesterday my 4 week old DS started having difficulty BFing on the left side. A little background info: We were always a little awkward latching on the left, so it was always painful for me. Then we came down with thrush, which we are still being treated for. So it's always been very painful to nurse on the left. Then I believed I had an oversupply, as the LO became gassy and very fussy and pooped green poop. So I started 2 hour block feeding a few days ago. So yesterday he became difficult to latch on the left side. He goes on, with a nice wide mouth, but pulls off immediately. Then he cries and we try again, with the same results. This will happen a few times before he finally stays on. Every time he grabs on, I have to hold my breath, it hurts so much.
    After sucking for a few minutes, he starts mashing his face really hard into my breast and then turning his head side to side,and pulling his head back while arching his back, all the while holding onto the nipple and taking it with him! OUCH!!! This is only happening on the left. Also, after feeding on the left, he will want to eat agian within 30-60 minutes. But when I feed him on the right, he's perfectly satisfied for 2-3 hours, unless we're cluster feeding of course. What is going on now?? First the cracked nipples, then thrush, then oversupply,the endless cluster feedings, the gassiness and colicky behaviour...and now this. I am determined NOT to give up...we've perservered through SO much, there's NO way i'm giving up now. I guess I just need to vent...and hopefully someone can tell me what might be happening with my left breast. Also...is it REALLY TRUE that it gets better? Any idea when that might be? Just wondering...

Default Re: Is there really relief in sight??

Hello. Hugs to you I promise it does get better. It was 6 weeks before I healed and the BFing went without a hitch. The night before I actually prayed and told God that I knew this was the best, but if the pain didn't stop, I was going to have to stop. I would actually sit in the recliner, curl my toes on the ground and rock really hard in the chair everytime he latched. The next day I found a website that actually shows you "how" to latch the baby. I'm a much better learner when I actually see something being done. I remember when he latched on correctly for the first time and it didn't hurt, I cried. We're at 5 1/2 months now and I'm soooo happy I didn't give up. Kudos to you for sticking it out. I'm proud of you and happy for you. I never had any over active supply issues so I'm sorry I can't help you out with the block feeding thing. Maybe your supply is diminishing in the left breast, you may want to keep feeding him on the left side during the block feeding schedule? You say he's hungry 30 minutes after feeding? Maybe at that 30 minute mark you should feed him again on the left side. Keep doing that until it's time to switch him to the right. The more he feeds on the left side, the more he's telling your breast to make more milk. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, there are other women here who have actually delt with the over active supply. They'll have a lot better advice than myself. I can only help with the "will it get better question". Yes it will, you can do it, keep up the good work, and you'll be in my thoughts. Take care and keep us posted on how things are going.

Talking Re: Is there really relief in sight??

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    Every time I think we're getting th e hang of this, something else pops up. Yesterday my 4 week old DS started having difficulty BFing on the left side. A little background info: We were always a little awkward latching on the left, so it was always painful for me. Then we came down with thrush, which we are still being treated for. So it's always been very painful to nurse on the left. Then I believed I had an oversupply, as the LO became gassy and very fussy and pooped green poop. So I started 2 hour block feeding a few days ago. So yesterday he became difficult to latch on the left side. He goes on, with a nice wide mouth, but pulls off immediately. Then he cries and we try again, with the same results. This will happen a few times before he finally stays on. Every time he grabs on, I have to hold my breath, it hurts so much.
    After sucking for a few minutes, he starts mashing his face really hard into my breast and then turning his head side to side,and pulling his head back while arching his back, all the while holding onto the nipple and taking it with him! OUCH!!! This is only happening on the left. Also, after feeding on the left, he will want to eat agian within 30-60 minutes. But when I feed him on the right, he's perfectly satisfied for 2-3 hours, unless we're cluster feeding of course. What is going on now?? First the cracked nipples, then thrush, then oversupply,the endless cluster feedings, the gassiness and colicky behaviour...and now this. I am determined NOT to give up...we've perservered through SO much, there's NO way i'm giving up now. I guess I just need to vent...and hopefully someone can tell me what might be happening with my left breast. Also...is it REALLY TRUE that it gets better? Any idea when that might be? Just wondering...
    YES it is true that it gets better. For me, it has gotten better almost completely now that I am fixing the latch issues. I learned that the reason my DS was squirming and pulling at the nipple was because he wasn't latched on well, which meant he had to suck harder to get more milk. This prompted an OALD issue AND sore nipples. Then we got a tad bit of thrush...argh.
    So I know what you mean. A combination of following everyone's advice worked. I watched the Dr Newman videos on how to latch and followed them religiously. I saw an LC and next I plan on going to see a local LLL leader and attend some LLL meetings. It helps to know you're NOT the only one dealing with all this so meeting up with some other moms and taking advantage of the support given here helps as well.

What worked for me was:

1) Not wearing bras. Seriously. If I got out, I wear a nursing camisole that I bought at Target with a shirt over it. If at home I wear light t-shirts.

2) After one feeding, express some milk onto your nipples and let it dry. For the next feeding, use lanolin cream on your nipples instead.

3) Put lanolin cream on your nipples before you shower to protect them from soap.

4) SHOWER, don't bathe. The soap that gets in the water from your bath may be irritating your nipples!

5) When you get OUT of the shower, apply lanolin AGAIN. Remember, t-shirts only..no bras. If you're going out, wear a camisole that has a built in bra or a VERY light support bra.

6) Careful with the pumping. I pump twice a day. I feed the baby one bottle and store the other. But pump GENTLY. It can hurt your nipples otherwise.

7) Dr Newman's videos. I know you might be thinking all latch videos are the same. But I learned SOOO much from his videos! Please give them a try. FOLLOW THEM RELIGIOUSLY.

8) In person training. Hire a Lactation Consultant to watch your feedings at LEAST once or twice. You'd be surprised to know how much this alone could help. This is the MAIN thing that helped ME.

GOOD LUCK..and don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with much of the pp's advice. I saw a LC last weekend and found it to be very helpful. My insurance is reimbursing us for the visit, so if the cost is an issue for you (which it was for us), call your insurance to see what they will cover.

Also, my DD (3 weeks today) was doing the same thing on my right breast for a few days. She would either not ake it at all, or it would take me up to an hour to get her latched finally. I do attibute this to bad latch at first, but also engorgement. I didn't FEEL engorged - i.e. my breast was not rock hard and didn't feel full at all, and it didn't necessarily leak...but after pumping quickly first (even just 1/2 oz), DD was able to latch on after and my breast did feel softer to the touch.

Just wanted to give you some ideas that helped me.

Good luck to you & I hope everything gets better very soon! You have had quite a few obstacles so far (I'm right there with you) - and KUDOS to you for sticking through it!!!

I am facing many of the same problems so I do not have advice but I do offer support! Keep trying. I know it is very hard and all I really want to do with my sore side is pump to void being clamped down on and having my nipple yanked on causing sever pain but I keep hearing to keep nursing and it will get better. All I can advise is to let out a huge grin and exhale as your LO latches. I hope it gets better for you soon!!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk