Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nipple pain - ouch!

Default Re: Nipple pain - ouch!

My doctor said everything looks fine. He can't explain the stabbing pain, but he doesn't see any sign of infection or yeast. At least my nipple is starting to heal and doesn't hurt very badly when we nurse.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

So your nipples are raw and bleeding, you're having stabbing pains in your breast, and he said "it looked fine"?

I don't think it's always easy to "see" an infection on the breast, yeast or bacterial. So if it doesn't improve a lot, soon, go back and insist that he culture the area, or treat for yeast. In the meantime, do the probiotics - they really can't hurt, and they might help!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    So your nipples are raw and bleeding, you're having stabbing pains in your breast, and he said "it looked fine"?

I don't think it's always easy to "see" an infection on the breast, yeast or bacterial. So if it doesn't improve a lot, soon, go back and insist that he culture the area, or treat for yeast. In the meantime, do the probiotics - they really can't hurt, and they might help!
    P.S. Nipple pain that doesn't "look like much" definitely makes me think yeast. I was just at my doc's with some nipple issues recently, and the fact that you couldn't see much of anything on my nipple made my doctor think it was yeast, because it can cause a LOT of pain, without a lot of external symptoms. Of course, that's a diagnosis by ruling things out, and I'm still not sure it was the right one (neither was my doctor), but I know what she said about yeast is right.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am doing the probiotics.. and I'm just going to keep an eye on things. The pain is a lot less than it was last week, and my nipple is healing. Who knows! If the pain doesn't go away soon, I'll give the doctor another call.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    The pain is a lot less than it was last week, and my nipple is healing.
    That's great! If it's healing and hurting less, then most likely whatever was causing the damage isn't happening now. Crossing my fingers for you that this is going to pass. Keep using the Lansinoh though, until it's completely healed.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--