Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medela vs. Lansinoh Milk Storage Bags

Default Medela vs. Lansinoh Milk Storage Bags

So money is a little tighter, now that we have two children. I used Medela storage bags last time and liked them. I was given a few Lansinoh bags at the hospital and am giving them a try now. Why are the Medela bags so much more expensive? I checked at Target and Babies R' Us and the Lansinoh bags are around $10 for a 50 count box and the Medela bags are about $20 for the same amount! It drives me crazy. I can't find any coupons either. Maybe I'm being frugal.

I've read reviews on both brands and it seems that people have good and bad to say about both brands. I'm thinking I'll go with Lansinoh this time and hope for the best. Thoughts?

Jen

Default Re: Medela vs. Lansinoh Milk Storage Bags

I too think that Medela's seem a bit high. Are they all they ones that you can pump directly into? With my first two I used Gerber and I am using Lansinoh this time. (I think there weren't any Gerber when I bought them.) They have been working fine for me. I like the double zipper. Did you have any particular concerns?

And if you are looking to save money, I have signed up for Amazon Mom, which is free, and gives you 3(?) months of Amazon Prime free and you can earn more months by buying baby products. I buy both diapers and breast pads through Subscribe and Save and it is cheaper than Walmart.
    Last edited by @llli*scienceteachermommy; July 16th, 2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: additional info
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions...whether one brand leaked more than the other (I've never used Lansinoh before)...or maybe there is another great brand out there? I'm just trying to shop around and value everyone's opinion.

I have only used Lansinoh bags and have not had any leaks thus far (started using them in Apr. of this year). I like the double zipper and that they are BPA free (even though I think most storage bags are). It would be more convenient if you could pump directly into the bags, but I never saw it as too much of a time killer. Hope you find what works for you!
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

I started using them in March and haven't had any problem.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

love the lansinoh, never leak for me.

Looks like Lansinoh it is! Thank you all for your opinions!

Im late to this thread but ive always used Lansinoh too, but recently i tried a bag called Honeysuckle. The work a lot like Lansinoh with the double zipper, but they are biodegradable which i like because i use so many! My DCP actually commented that she love them for what its worth. You can find them on amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Honeysuckle-Br...0912200&sr=1-1
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My Lansinoh bags survived 14 hours in a thermal bag at the airport and only one of them had leaked (which I credit to human error)- there were about a hundred of them. They are waay cheaper. Medela ones are sooooo unnecessary.

There are five brands out there:

1: Medela. The draws on these ones are the ability to pump directly in them if you want to and the claim by the company that the double walls help prevent freezer burn. I have never had one of these leak in almost 7 years of pumping and storing milk. But they are expensive, and I find them really quite difficult to pour out of. I also find that pumping right into them is silly...You almost can't move while doing so because it's so easy to spill the milk from them!

2. Lansinoh. What I like about these is that they can hold a lot more milk. I put 6-7 oz in these and it does just fine. I have found they will split if you drop them while frozen and then they will leak. I have a good amount of stash in these because I find them about every 3 months on sale somewhere. I put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer to help prevent freezer burn (as well as removing all air from the bag before sealing it.)

3. Honeysuckle. I find them to be almost just like Lansinoh, but they have to be ordered (which is OK if I remember I need them early enough!) and are biodegradeable, which is very cool. I think the bottle image on the top is totally stupid. I think the plastic is more durable than Lansinoh. I dropped a couple frozen bags and they didn't split.

4. Simplisse. I got a box of these at BRU a few weeks ago, just to try, but I haven't used them yet as I still had about 100 Lansinoh bags at the time. They are very like Lansinoh, actually, only they were significantly less expensive. I've only seen them a couple times at the store. I'm sure they could be ordered. They are a pretty pink.

5. Gerber. Owned by Nestle if you care about that kind of stuff, which is why I don't buy them. But they were OK IME. I haven't used one in years and years though.

I'm sure there's some other brands available as well.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!