Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medela vs. Lansinoh Milk Storage Bags

Default Re: Medela vs. Lansinoh Milk Storage Bags

There are five brands out there:

1: Medela. The draws on these ones are the ability to pump directly in them if you want to and the claim by the company that the double walls help prevent freezer burn. I have never had one of these leak in almost 7 years of pumping and storing milk. But they are expensive, and I find them really quite difficult to pour out of. I also find that pumping right into them is silly...You almost can't move while doing so because it's so easy to spill the milk from them!

2. Lansinoh. What I like about these is that they can hold a lot more milk. I put 6-7 oz in these and it does just fine. I have found they will split if you drop them while frozen and then they will leak. I have a good amount of stash in these because I find them about every 3 months on sale somewhere. I put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer to help prevent freezer burn (as well as removing all air from the bag before sealing it.)

3. Honeysuckle. I find them to be almost just like Lansinoh, but they have to be ordered (which is OK if I remember I need them early enough!) and are biodegradeable, which is very cool. I think the bottle image on the top is totally stupid. I think the plastic is more durable than Lansinoh. I dropped a couple frozen bags and they didn't split.

4. Simplisse. I got a box of these at BRU a few weeks ago, just to try, but I haven't used them yet as I still had about 100 Lansinoh bags at the time. They are very like Lansinoh, actually, only they were significantly less expensive. I've only seen them a couple times at the store. I'm sure they could be ordered. They are a pretty pink.

5. Gerber. Owned by Nestle if you care about that kind of stuff, which is why I don't buy them. But they were OK IME. I haven't used one in years and years though.

I'm sure there's some other brands available as well.
    Thank you for this! While I pumped and stored milk for DD1, I used the Medela bags...probably went through at least 15-20 of the 50 ct. boxes and had just 1 bag leak. They are reliable, just too darn expensive.

I think I will plan on using the Lansinoh bags and just try to be extra careful not to drop any bags. I will also bag them up in a Ziploc bag to prevent freezer burn. I'm going to figure out a way to thaw them in something sterile, so that leakage isn't a huge issue. I used to thaw in cool water, so that won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Juniper79 View Post

I think I will plan on using the Lansinoh bags and just try to be extra careful not to drop any bags. I will also bag them up in a Ziploc bag to prevent freezer burn. I'm going to figure out a way to thaw them in something sterile, so that leakage isn't a huge issue. I used to thaw in cool water, so that won't work.
    That's what I do, but it doesn't have to be sterile. Your bottle isn't sterile (unless you sterilize it prior to pumping). So it only has to be as clean as your bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Gotcha! Thanks again!

I liked Lansinoh - they aren't as stiff and expensive as the medela. I only tried those two brands. But with pps that they will leak or break open.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I've used Lansinoh the most. The only time they leaked on me was when I didn't freeze flat and a chunk of milk punctured the side. I used Gerber some and they leaked all over and wouldn't stand up. Haven't tried the Medela, mainly because I like the Lansinoh so much.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10