Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply and the Older Baby

Default Low Supply and the Older Baby

Hi,
    My supply has been rather low over the last while, although I have taken measures to correct it.
    My pediatrician has been concerned from the beginning that DD is quite small (15 lbs @ 10.5 mos) and in the 5th percentile for growth. He encouraged me to push solids and nurse after meals, so that's what I did at first until I thought better of it. This is where the supply started to decrease.
    Anyhow, my question is should I worry about low supply at this age, when she can be supplemented with other foods and cow's milk? I'm tempted to drastically reduce solids to see what happens, but I'm going back to work in 2 weeks, so I'm not sure there's much point, as she'll be drinking homo milk during the day anyway. I just feel that more breastmilk might be the answer to any possible weight issues...

Default Re: Low Supply and the Older Baby

Nursing more frequently will improve your supply, and nursing after meals if for sure the culprit behind the low supply. At this age solids are in addition to nursing, they are supplemental, extra calories on top of frequent nursing. Also keep in mind that there are healthy babies at all percentiles on the growth chart. My DD has always been around the 50th percentile. What you are looking for is growth each month, and consistent growth. And regarding pushing solids, you can't force a baby to eat, breastmilk or solids, so I'm not sure what that will accomplish other than frustration on the part of your LO and yourself.

Is your LO happy and healthy and content? Lots of wet and dirty diapers? Are you concerned about her health in anyway? If not then you are doing the right thing. Keep up the breastfeeding Mamma it's the best way to provide your LO with food but love too, and with you at work in two weeks it will be a great way for the two of you to continue bonding and spend time together when you are home. After all what better comfort for both you and your LO than to nurse? Good Luck.
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Thank you for the encouragement
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Baby wearing, cloth diapering, sometime co-sleeping mom of DS, born 06/16/08 and DD, born 08/30/10.[/FONT]

I just wanted to add that I still nurse DS before meals, rather than after, and he's seventeen months. He's not a frequent nurser, but he takes in a lot.

When he started sleeping through the night (mostly) and eating solids, my supply did drop naturally, and he wasn't happy about that. (He likes to nurse on full breasts.) I actually added in a pumping just to keep my supply a little higher. In my case, I donated the milk to a milk bank because I already had a large freezer stash to use with solid food. If you pumped extra to build up supply, you could mix that in your daughter's solid food to increase the nutrition.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)