Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I have a low milk supply...

Thumbs down I have a low milk supply...

Hey ladies! My lo is 6wks. and my milk is still low! My doc. told me that I have a low milk supply and I have to supplement. Sooo I have been doing 50/50 This is what I didn't want to do but it seems like he is content now. At first he was always crying which he still does now but it's not a hunger cry. I notice now that when I pump, nothing really comes out and he gets really fussy when I try to nurse him. He crys and pulls but won't let go. I think it's too late
    Accomplished

Default Re: I have a low milk supply...

It's not too late. You can increase your supply at any time, as long as there are no physical impediments and as long as you are willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

First of all, how did your doctor diagnose you with low supply?

Second, how often are you pumping, what sort of pump are you using, and how often are you nursing? And how much supplemental formula are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: I have a low milk supply...

I had the same issues at 6 weeks with my LO. I would try to nurse every two hours, and I had to supplement with some formula or expressed breastmilk. I used a supplemental nursing system to give her the supplement so the was at she breast more, sometimes I finger fed her with the tube. After feeding I would pump with a double electric pump for 15-20 minutes. It was a long process, and I kept this up for about 8 weeks. But it did work, I slowly over that 8 weeks decreased the amound of supplement I was giving her, there is information at this link for weaning off supplement http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html. I wasn't able to get my DD completely off the supplement, she continues to take 60 ml or 2 ounces of formula before bed.

In addition to all this pumping my family doctor put me on domperidone, 40 mg x 3 times a day, and I also take fenugreek. Both of these with the pumping have gotten my supply up, and have maintained it. My DD is 10.5 months and we are nursing around the clock without any problems.

It's lots of work at first, but if you can commit and get your supply up and wean off the supplement it's much better for both you and your LO. And I felt frustrated and worried about my LO but even if your LO gets some breastmilk and some supplement that's better than none.

Also here is a link about milk supply issues: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love