Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constantly nursing need support

Default constantly nursing need support

I'm at home for the summer so I've been able to nurse my 7 week old on demand. For the past 3-4 weeks she's been nursing every hour and then cluster feeding from 5-8ish. At night she might have a 2 or 2.5 hour stretch then its back to every hour. Anyone else have experience with this? FYI I wait for signs that she's hungry I don't assume every whimper means feeding time! Her weight is great and she is healthy. Just wanting some words of wisdom. I go back to work soon and I'm hoping she can go for longer stretches.

Default Re: constantly nursing need support

I can certainly sympathize; my son was exactly the same way. From reading these forums, it seems like a common situation. She will stretch out her feedings, but exactly when that will happen is hard to say for sure. Are you concerned that she will want to eat too often while she's at daycare? Or concerned that you won't be able to get enough sleep at night once you start working?

We were the same way too. Best thing is to just give up on everything but feeding LO, feeding yourself, and occasional showers Park yourself in front of tv, computer, laptop, book, ipod, window, etc and just do it mama, its only temporary!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My DD was the same. It's normal at that age. Babies usually have growth spurts around that time too, so they start to increase their need to nurse to increase your supply. My DD is 10.5 months and some days still wants to nurse around the clock. I think the problem is that in society we hear about scheduled feedings, babies feeding every 4 hours, but we forget that is for formula fed babies. Breastfed babies always eat frequely becuase breastmilk digests really quickly and they are legitimatley hungry again in a short amount of time. Keep at it mamma, as the PPs said just park somewhere and nurse. After all your LO is only this tiny and in need of you for a short time enjoy every minute!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Just continue to follow your babies cues mama. Keep her happy and healthy and everything else will fall into place.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

agree with all PPs, just nurse and nurse some more! You will be amazed at how fast this stage is over and wil actually MISS this time in just a few short months! Babies change so quickly...

This is all typical infant behavior, sounds like your LO is doing great! Keep up the good work
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Thank y'all for the encouragement! As a ftm it helps to know that I'm doing the right thing

I feel the same way with my almost 5 week old! I make it a point every night to hand her over to my husband so I can have at least 30 minutes to relax in the tub because it's the only time I'm ever alone. Her pediatrician actually told me to have a glass of wine at night to help me relax lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smgmom View Post
    I'm at home for the summer so I've been able to nurse my 7 week old on demand. For the past 3-4 weeks she's been nursing every hour and then cluster feeding from 5-8ish. At night she might have a 2 or 2.5 hour stretch then its back to every hour. Anyone else have experience with this? FYI I wait for signs that she's hungry I don't assume every whimper means feeding time! Her weight is great and she is healthy. Just wanting some words of wisdom. I go back to work soon and I'm hoping she can go for longer stretches.
    My 7 week old is identical to yours. I am hoping it gets better really soon. Just wanted to let you know I feel ya. She once gave me 4 hours, what a tease.

My DS is 1 mo old and is doing the same thing! I feel so much better to hear that others are in the same situation and that it's normal, even if it's exhausting. I also try not to feed him immediately the second he cries, but often find that it's the only thing that soothes him, so I'm assuming that's what he wants. It's frustrating to not know exactly how many oz. he's eating, which would be a better indicator if he's really hungry or not. I do pump, and admit have caved and given formula occasionally, which I know is counterproductive. However, reading these posts makes me recommitted to EBF each day.

Completely agree that babies are only little once and that we should enjoy this time! Enough with ppl who say "You're going to spoil him!" by holding him and answering his cries.

I do feel badly that because I'm EBF, my DH is not holding him as much as a bottle fed baby, since my DS wants to eat constantly! How do you include your DHs, besides him burping baby?

Thanks everyone!!!