Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: in pain - need help :(

Default in pain - need help :(

Okay so LO turned one last weekend and breastfeeding has gone absolutely amazing! I cut down my pump sessions in the beginning of June to just once a day so I could start to pump-wean and hopefully be completely done by the end of July, I wanted to pump through my LO's 12mth. In addition to just pumping once a day each day I try and hold out to pump later and later into the day.

Well we are fast approaching the end of July and my milk production has not decreased AT ALL!!! Something went wrong somewhere because I am getting fuller and more engorged sooner in the day then I was before. For example, today...I nursed LO between 0500-0530 like we do every morning then I got to work at 0700 by 0830 I was VERY full so finally at 0900 I went to the bathroom and hand expressed some milk which was just a waterfall at that point and I probably expressed 2oz from the engorged side without even trying. So after I could finally move my arm because some of the pain subsided I went back to work...by noon both sides where full and engorged..I help out until 1 to pump. I pumped for 3min..yes 3min exactly and I got 10oz and I still felt full!!!!

I'm really just not sure what to do anymore what I thought I needed to do to pump-wean seems to make things worse, my body is just not getting the hint to not supply during the day! My son LOVES to nurse so in the morning and the evening I want to continue to nurse. I'm afraid of mastitis and clog ducts because I had that issue when my son was about 3months old when I went back to work and ohhh dear i do not want to go through that again, so I am nervous to hold out on pumping when I feel so full!

Any help? advice? support?

Thanks
    Baby boy Caps 10 Jul 10

Birthday: 7lb 6oz
    2months: 13lb 9oz
    4months: 16lb 8oz
    6months: 18lb 2oz
    9months: 22lbs

I at work on demand at home to make up for lost time while I'm at work!!

feel like a and lovin it!

Default Re: in pain - need help :(

Weaning off the pump can be a slow process. While many women find that they no longer get engorged very easily after a year, others, like you (sorry!), still struggle with engorgement even at a year. It sounds like you're doing everything right. One thing I would add is that painful engorgement can be a sign of a clogged duct. A clogged duct can prevent your breasts from emptying properly, so you could nurse your baby in the morning, and then STILL feel very full afterwards, and painfully engorged later, because your breasts weren't emptied by the nursing session. Do you have any especially tender spots on your breasts? That's another sign of a clogged duct. Feeling full even after pumping can also be a symptom. I would recommend that you massage your breasts thoroughly while pumping to work out any tender sore clogged spots.

It's hard, but your best bet is to be patient with the pump weaning process. It may take a while for you to completely pump wean, but if you take it slowly, you will get there eventually. I would say, allow your breasts to feel good and full before you pump, but don't let it get to the painful engorgement phase, bc that's how you get clogged ducts, which only make your situation worse, see above! So if you need to pump more frequently some days, go ahead and do that. But don't pump until you get to the "full" phase. A hand pump might be good because it would cause less nipple stimulation. It's a fine line - you need to pump now and then to avoid engorgement, clogged ducts, and mastitis, but you want to pump as little as possible without going into dangerous "painfully engorged" territory.

Given your biology (you have very enthusiastic breasts! ) I would take a deep breath and expect this process to take quite a few more weeks yet. That doesn't mean it won't happen - you will get through this. But you're better off going slowly, and avoiding mastitis. Rushing things will only make it harder in the long run.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thanks! encouragement helps...but today has been a very grumpy day at work because of this...I think this week I may have waiting too long and I may be on the verge of a clogged duct...hopefully this weekend our nursing can sort any possible clogged ducts out!
    Baby boy Caps 10 Jul 10

Birthday: 7lb 6oz
    2months: 13lb 9oz
    4months: 16lb 8oz
    6months: 18lb 2oz
    9months: 22lbs

I at work on demand at home to make up for lost time while I'm at work!!

feel like a and lovin it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommacaps View Post
    thanks! encouragement helps...but today has been a very grumpy day at work because of this...I think this week I may have waiting too long and I may be on the verge of a clogged duct...hopefully this weekend our nursing can sort any possible clogged ducts out!
    Exactly. I went through this several times in the pump weaning process, and it felt like one step forward, two steps back. Frustrating because I was just so impatient to be DONE with that pump! So I totally get it.

Definitely go home and work out those clogs, monday is a NEW day and week! You'll do this!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.