Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need advice urgent!!!

Exclamation Need advice urgent!!!

My LO will be 10 months in 2 weeks and im down to my last ounces of frozen bm. Pedi said 3 optionss. Goat milk, almond milk or formula. My LO has never had any formula just strictly breastmilk. I wouldve had enough to keep giving him had my freezer not broken and 1 lost 1000 oz and i also donated 1000 oz that he would not drink due to lipase. Pls help im at a loss of what to do.
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Default Re: Need advice urgent!!!

How often would your LO be taking the formula or goat's milk?

It's a personal choice, but at ten months, if you're talking a significant amount, I would choose formula in a heartbeat. It has the best nutrition of those three options. As between breastmilk and formula, I would of course choose breastmilk! But before a year, I think formula is better than any other options BESIDES breastmilk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am thinking it all depends why you feed the baby from someplace other than your breasts?
    If you are talking about leaving milk for the baby while you are away at work, can you pump at home and leave your own milk?
    If you are feeding something other than your own expressed breastmilk perhaps you want to talk to the baby's doctor.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

oops i just re-read your post and I see your own ped. said goats milk or almond milk or formula.
    that's new to me. I have never seen or heard of a doctor substituting formula/breastmilk for a baby under a year with something else less nutritionally dense.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

If breastmilk isn't an option, then I'd pick formula for sure!

ETA: I am SO sorry about your freezer. What a disaster!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My supply diminished when i got pregnant which is why im glad i had such a big freezer stash. Thanks for thr help i will be doing formula. Im going to try similac ive been reading its the sweetest one so it might be the ony one he will drink.
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manteconj View Post
    had my freezer not broken and 1 lost 1000 oz
    Wow, this weaning thing must really ramp up the hormones. I read this and almost burst into tears at the thought! I can't imagine what that was like. <sigh>

I think I'm going to do formula too. The LC said whole milk would be ok at this point since she eats so much food now but.... the ped said formula would be better and whole milk may be too soon and the allergist said if ANY milk was given to go for goats milk up to 1 year.

So.... formula it is.

We are doing the Similac Advanced (blue). I tried powder and even mixed with breast milk, she won't take it more than 2oz at a time. The ready drink stuff is better for her as far as drinking it - she'll down a 4 oz bottle in about 10 min. I'm going to get her on the ready made and then try to wean her over to powder. I figure it's only for another 3 months so.... I can afford the ready made if I have to considering all the money I didn't spend in formula from day one

Good luck mamma!