Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS and daycare recs?

Default BLS and daycare recs?

Hi all, DD Is 5.5 mo and EBF until a few weeks ago when she started some solids. I intended to hold off on solids, just gave her something to play with while "getting used to the high chair"... and then I found banana in her poop So she is quite interested and has tried a number of foods such as banana, peach, plum, chicken, sweet potato and toast. Aside from that she is still EBF and we've only been giving her food when DH or I are there. I am thinking about sending some food to daycare, not to reduce bottles or anything but really just for fun and since she seems to enjoy. The ladies in her room are very responsive and will pretty much follow clear instructions (they have dealt with cloth diapering quite nicely so I'm sure they can handle BLS, lol). But what do I tell them?
    Most of the kids on solids have little schedules like, "Joe sleeps from 8-9, bottle at 9, one veg and one fruit at 11" or whatever. They are all getting the cereal and puree stuff. We don't have DD on any kind of schedule (feed approx 2.5-3 hours, please try for AM nap, that's all). In a full day, she normally takes 4 bottles of BM.
    Should I say something like, "1 hour after bottle #2... " or something like that? I generally just give her solids when I'm eating, she's happy, and probably not hungry. Some days I skip just 'cause we're busy with other stuff, or she's sleepy or whatever. But I want to make this as easy on daycare as possible, so any suggestions would be helpful!

Default Re: BLS and daycare recs?

We did BLS with both babies and held off on sending solids to day care until I was comfortable that baby had "mastered" that food. With BLS I think it's very important to have an adult right there paying complete attention ready to help baby in case baby gags / chokes. And unless day care is one-on-one, even the best DCP will be a little distracted also paying attention to other LO.

Once baby had "mastered" a food, we started sending in a small amount every day, plus had non-perishable finger foods that stayed at DCP in our LO's basket.

I explained we were continuing to bf, and asked that they continued to offer bottles of EBM BEFORE doing solids. I also explained that baby self-feeds at home and is VERY good at self feeding, so please let baby self feed and not try to feed him with a spoon.

And then I left the details / timing up to the DCP. Especially with older babies, they typically would have all the LO doing "snacks" or "meals" at the same time. So I let the DCP "read" my baby's cues and decide if baby seemed to want to try some solids at the "snack" and "meal" times.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

yup great post...
    I don't know about your day care but my infants "eat" lunch with the toddlers. The babies that can pick up things get a few puffs or cold cereals when they older ones are getting thier lunch of table foods. The ones that are two young get to sit in the high chairs or bouncy seats in the dinning room. Lunch is fun for the babies.
    Thats when we give solids also during lunch to the ones that are able.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    yup great post...
    I don't know about your day care but my infants "eat" lunch with the toddlers. The babies that can pick up things get a few puffs or cold cereals when they older ones are getting thier lunch of table foods. The ones that are two young get to sit in the high chairs or bouncy seats in the dinning room. Lunch is fun for the babies.
    Thats when we give solids also during lunch to the ones that are able.
    ita. . . I wish more parents would let their babies feed themselves. We don't have infants at our daycare anymore. They start at one and lots of times they are still being spoon fed by their parents. We watch the little kids really close when they are eating, especially those that are new to solids.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.