Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorged on one side only?

Default Engorged on one side only?

Hello ladies,
    My LO has been doing longer stretches at night which is great for me! However, I have been getting engorged only on one side, while the other side is just full. I nurse her from the engorged side and after 10 min, she's full, goes back to sleep and I just pump the other side. Is this normal? I get 4+ ounces from the other side after a few min of pumping. Do you think she's getting enough from feeding on one side after a 6-7 HR stretch? Weight gain and diaper output are good so far.

Thanks, ladies!

Default Re: Engorged on one side only?

i had the same thing happen to me. I would wake up with one side super fill and hard.
    I would wake up the baby nurse like crazy and I would only use the full side over the next two hours.
    i did not express the extra milk b/c i did not want to produce more milk than my baby needed.
    I nursed every 2-3 hours, actually more often than that .
    I have read that the baby digests breastmilk rather quickly and in order to maintain an ample milk supply the baby needs to be nursed 10-12 times a day; which works out to be every 2 hours.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Yes, if you're engorged the baby is almost certainly getting more than enough milk from that side alone. If your baby continues to sleep such a long stretch, your supply will likely adjust and You won't experience engorgement in the mornings. At that point you might need to go back to feeding on both sides.

Is there a reason why you are pumping the unused breast? Unless you are trying to build a stash for work or something you really don't need to. You can just trust your baby to regulate your supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine would do that if I slept on a certain side
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover