Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins?? [ 6 month check up ]

Default Vitamins?? [ 6 month check up ]

We made it to 6 months exclusively BF!!!
    Went to my son's 6 month check up and he's 16.3 lb and 27 in! Dr said he's only 25% for weight and 75% for height [ though my daughter was a pound lighter at 6 months and for some reason was 50% for weight?? ]

Anyway: Dr said I should be giving him vitamins if I'm still exclusively B.F. I told him I was unaware of that and hadn't planned on doing so. He told me that I needed to have plenty of time outside with him then. I didn't want to get into it with him on WHY I " needed " these vitamin drops or sun because I didn't want to feel like I had to defend myself but thought I'd come here to ask ya'll if this is something I'm supposed to be giving him. Any thoughts?
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Default Re: Vitamins?? [ 6 month check up ]

The concern specifically is Vitamin D. Here is a link on it.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Congratulations on a successful doctor visit!

The vitamins are for vitamin D. A specific portion of the UV spectrum (I forget the wavelength range) will naturally promote vitamin D production. Because the majority of Americans are vitamin D deficient, doctors commonly recommend supplements. You can get yourself tested for vitamin D levels if you are opposed to vitamin supplements or sun exposure. Personally, I think a moderate amount of direct sun exposure is good for you for more reasons than just vitamin D, but that is of course just an opinion.

Our pediatrician was very supportive of my commitment to breastfeeding, but he wanted me to give my son an iron supplement because he said that there is a link to iron and IQ. He said that while breastfeeding is the best option, there is more iron in formula. He said that even though I was on an iron supplement, it wouldn't transfer over to the milk.
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

I suggest reading the note on vit D on the Dr Sears site. My Dr. sais for liability reasons they have to tell you but she has never seen a case of rickets (severe vit D deficency) in her career.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*charadawn View Post
    I suggest reading the note on vit D on the Dr Sears site. My Dr. sais for liability reasons they have to tell you but she has never seen a case of rickets (severe vit D deficency) in her career.
    But the point is made on the Sears site that supplements are not necessary if you get sufficient sun exposure. I agree with the recommendation by your doctor to get some sun exposure (I think about 15 minutes, direct sunlight, no sun screen has been shown to be sufficient). Actually, I'm pretty impressed that he would recommend that in lieu of vitamin supplements, most doctors would not.

Rickets is due to a very severe and prolonged deficiency, which is indeed very rare. However, recent research shows that there appear to be other reasons the body needs vitamin D.

From the Mayo Clinic:

"The major biologic function of vitamin D is to maintain normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones. Recently, research also suggests vitamin D may provide protection from osteoporosis, hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer, and several autoimmune diseases."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duggysmom View Post
    Our pediatrician was very supportive of my commitment to breastfeeding, but he wanted me to give my son an iron supplement because he said that there is a link to iron and IQ. He said that while breastfeeding is the best option, there is more iron in formula. He said that even though I was on an iron supplement, it wouldn't transfer over to the milk.
    Your ped doesn't seem to understand the iron thing very well - there's more total iron in formula, but the iron in breastmilk is better absorbed.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Wow! I had no idea! Now I feel awful that he hasn't been getting the vitamins or much sunlight [ my husband and I take him for walks but try to keep him out of direct sunlight due to my history with skin cancer ]. I guess I better get on that! Where would I get these vitamins?
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*RavenLogan View Post
    Wow! I had no idea! Now I feel awful that he hasn't been getting the vitamins or much sunlight [ my husband and I take him for walks but try to keep him out of direct sunlight due to my history with skin cancer ]. I guess I better get on that! Where would I get these vitamins?
    I totally see your concern about sun exposure. You can get supplements for yourself or your son (liquid drops, near the children's vitamins) at any pharmacy. I'm sure you can order online as well, but I've never gone that route so I can't offer any suggestions for that.

ETA: Don't feel awful! He has been getting some vitamin D from your milk, and I'm sure he's fine. The supplement is just to make sure that he gets enough over the long term. It's often a better safe than sorry measure, and while others may disagree I feel it's worth it in the absence of reasonable sunlight exposure.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; July 15th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

My ped recommend D-Visol ( 1 ml oral once a day).. Anyway ask to your doctor.. My LO is 4 month...