Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about enough milk

Default Re: Questions about enough milk

First of all, please let me tell you how much I appreciate and love the support you guys have! You are all so, so helpful.

The cracks on my nipples look to be one crack across each. I'm rubbing them with breast milk and they are starting to look a little better. Also bought some cream (Lanoish sp?) to use on them. Sometimes my nipples look okay after she finishes, but sometimes they are shaped like lipstick. I know that ain't good. LOL. Don't know what else I can do until I can go see the LC in my area. I can't drive for two weeks so I will try to schedule something around hubby's work schedule so he can take me. The type of pain I feel is like little stings when she sucks. Nothing so severe I can't stand it, but enough to get on your nerves. I don't feel this when I pump my breast milk with a manual pump.

We had a fitful night last night where all she wanted to do was suck, suck, suck on my breast and when I laid her down to sleep, she would scream. I thought I would supplement her to see if she would get full and sleep, but I really didn't like how that turned out. After she drank only half an oz, she went kinda in a haze and finally went to sleep. I told my husband I felt it was strange, but he just thinks I'm paranoid. Is there any link to formula and some type of shock for babies?

Okay, one crack and a stinging sensation plus the lipstick nipples and the fact that pumping is painless indicates to me that the cracks are being caused by a shallow latch, rather than something like thrush. I would definitely seek that in-person help from the LC as soon as possible, since latch issues can often be solved with just a little hands-on assistance.

I'm sorry the supplement-to-sleep experience wasn't a good one. I don't think formula is going to make a baby fall into shock, but it does digest slowly compared to breastmilk and therefore sits very heavy on a tiny tummy. That can make a baby act pretty logy. Was there a reason you didn't want to just nurse the baby? New babies find nursing and cuddling with mom very soothing, and often do not want to lie down alone in bed. After all, they spent nine months being a literal part of another person, so it's a big adjustment to suddenly be all alone in a crib.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama. i started laying down in my bed nursing my first son because it was the easiest way to get him to sleep. then when we would wake i would just put the breast in his mouth and he was out in about one min. AWESOME It was such a difference from the fiasco of trying to get him to sleep in his crib, picking him up, etc. With my lo now I do the same thing. He is protected in the nook of my arm from my dh. we love it because we all sleep so much better.

I also had a crack across both my nipples right in the beginning. I kept the lansinoh cream in my bathrobe (because I lived in my bathrobe )and the cream stayed warm and was easy to spread. I put the cream on all the time. My lo also needed to get a little bigger for my nipple to not come out like a lipstick.

It is very hard in the beginning. esp at night. you work all day caring for the baby and then just want a little sleep. the cosleeping has been the best option for me. so many moms give their babies formula thinking it is going to solve issues, but formula is really a substitute for what is best. Honestly, formula is meant to be used when it is not possible for a baby to get the mother's milk. You have milk mama

my lo still just likes to suck a lot but it seemed that is all he did in the beginning. It is very important for them to suck suck suck. it increases your milk and comforts them, helps them sleep, lets them know you love them. It is natures way of making motherhood as simple as possible.

by the way, my lo had not pooped for awhile and when i heard a poop explosion in his diaper i thought of you

keep up the good work, throw that formula out mama!

Lansinoh is good stuff. I think of it as chapstick for nipples.

Nursing every hour or so if your baby seems to want to nurse is a great idea. It's possible to nurse too infrequently, but it's not possible to nurse too often.

One technique that might be worth a try for getting a deeper latch is "laid-back breastfeeding." It's basically just nursing at a semi-reclined angle so that your body is fully supporting your baby's body, and gravity helps keep baby latched on deeply. There's a video that demonstrates it at biologicalnurturing.com.

Do you feel the stinging throughout the feeding? Or does start or stop at a certain point each time?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I feel stinging throughout the whole feeding. Although at times, I feel nothing so I know she gets a good latch sometimes. She did very well last night throughout the night with co-sleeping and breastfeeding on demand. It was so much better than having to get up and get her out of the crib and try to breast feed. I just let lay on my side and let her eat. We were both so happy. I'm pumping a bit more breast milk too. Of course, right now all I have is a manual pump. Hopefully, when I get my hands on an electric pump, I can pump better too.

good to hear about last night!!! you are really doing very well mama.

if it hurts put your pinky in her mouth to pop her off and try to latch on again. it can be frustrating so take deep breaths and try to stay calm. these can help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

http://beta.breastfeedinginc.ca/cont...agename=videos

why are you pumping?? don't pump. pumping, well, sucks! i only do it because i work. i didnt even start for 8 weeks and i was building a stash for we
    hen i was going back. imo, i would get into your nursing groove with the baby, it will take a few weeks. then if you want to pump to have some milk for whatever go ahead, but right now just nurse and dont add the complexity of pumping into the mix.

again, congrats on the good job last night. co sleeping is really great stuff

Pumping does suck! LOL! But, we kinda have a bad latch so until I can get to my local health dept. to talk to the LC, I pump in case she doesn't get it all out. By the way, thank you for the links! Very, very informational.