Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about enough milk

Default Questions about enough milk

I had previously posted in the pumping forums about exclusively pumping for my little one. However, I had decided to attempt breast feeding. My DD was born Tuesday!! We have been breast feeding with only supplementing twice while in the hospital. I wasn't really happy about it, but the pediatrician I could "requires" it. Anywho, my question is, how do I know she is getting enough. I know you guys answer this all the time. I'm just so worried about it. I'm a little unaware of how many wets she made in the hospital cause she was in the nursery. I know she had a very large bowel movement yesterday cause I got to change that one. So far today, nothing. I don't even think she has made a wet diaper! I go back to the pediatrician tomorrow because she is jaundice and he has to do blood work. Any recommendations you guys have would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Questions about enough milk

congratulations on your baby's arrival. You will know your baby is getting enough to eat by counting her wet and dirty diapers.
    by the 5th day of life her wets should be 6-8 diapers full, and she will have a dirty diaper after or during every feeding.
    most full term healthy infants are born with enough stamina and reserves to thrive during the initial time between birth and when a mothers milk comes in, usually by day 4or 5.
    those early days are dedicated to acclimating the baby to the breast, and nursing to ingest the colostrum.

breastfeeding is gratifying and successful for mother and infant when the infant is put to the breast 10-12 times a day or more during the learning how to nurse period.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

hi mama! congrats on the baby

how are you feeling?

Here is a link about diapers.http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

when my first son was born it was so hard to tell if he peed or not. with my lo now he didn't poop for a few days (after the meconium passed) but the dr said it was fine as long as he was getting wets and to just keep an eye on it. he had a big poop after 1 1/2 days and i was so excited ! If you are using disposables they have ones with a color changing line...goes from yellow to a light blue when they pee. I thought that was really helpful those first few days.

What do you mean your dr "requires" supplementing. Would you explain?

My lo had some jaundice too but it passed and we did not limit our bf in anyway. also had issues with my milk coming in late and we still only bf. you can do this mama!

Did your milk come in yet? Just nurse nurse nurse nurse that will make it so you are not so engorged.

Check out that link from mtmama. I just want to pass along 2 diapering tips my midwife gave me
    1. If your baby is still in the process of passing her meconium, that sticky, tar-like first stool, put some olive oil on her bottom after every diaper change. The olive oil will make clean-up a breeze, because the meconium will slide right off!
    2. If you are at all concerned about the number fo wets your baby is producing, tuck a piece of tissue paper in front of her vulva after diaper changes. When she pees, the paper will be visibly wet, and that will help you count.

Congratulations on the new baby! I hope you really enjoy nursing her. You're awesome for giving it a try!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    hi mama! congrats on the baby

how are you feeling?

Here is a link about diapers.http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

when my first son was born it was so hard to tell if he peed or not. with my lo now he didn't poop for a few days (after the meconium passed) but the dr said it was fine as long as he was getting wets and to just keep an eye on it. he had a big poop after 1 1/2 days and i was so excited ! If you are using disposables they have ones with a color changing line...goes from yellow to a light blue when they pee. I thought that was really helpful those first few days.

What do you mean your dr "requires" supplementing. Would you explain?

My lo had some jaundice too but it passed and we did not limit our bf in anyway. also had issues with my milk coming in late and we still only bf. you can do this mama!

Did your milk come in yet? Just nurse nurse nurse nurse that will make it so you are not so engorged.
    Well, "required" was the word used by the nurses when I asked why they kept pushing formula on me at the hospital. We went and saw the dr. today, who told me her jaundice wasn't that bad and she would be fine. She also had a massive poopie diaper along with wet last night and I almost danced around the room! LOL! And she also had a wet/poopie diaper at the dr.'s office today. My doctor told me it was okay to supplement every other feeding with formula if I felt she wasn't getting enough milk. If my milk doesn't come in soon, I may have to do that.

My milk still hasn't come in. I assume it will at any time (praying it will actually). Thank you for the link, I have bookmarked it.

Again, thank you ladies so much for any advice you have. I was so afraid I was starving her.

Isn't it amazing how happy a big poop-filled diaper can make you? Only a mom can feel that way, I think!

Your doctor's advice has me . Supplementing with formula every other feeding will delay your milk production. Milk is produced on a supply=demand basis, so any time you skip a feeding, removing demand from the equation, your supply will end up lower. In addition, early bottle introduction can derail brestfeeding. It's much easier for a baby to get fluid out of a bottle than from the breast, and many babies rapidly decide that they prefer the ease of bottle-feeding to the tricky task of breast-feeding, and they start rejecting the breast. Also, a baby sucks differently on a bottle than on the breast, so a baby who gets bottles early on can end up with an incorrect latch.

If you must supplement, I suggest doing the following:
    1. Contact a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for hands-on help.
    2. If you use bottles, use the slowest flow nipple available, and pause the feeding frequently in order to get the baby used to the ebb and flow rhthym of breastfeeding, and to prevent her from getting overfill.
    3. Keep the amount in the bottles small. 2 oz or less. Newborn tummies are tiny!
    4. Pump every time you give a bottle. This will help maintain your milk supply.

Can you tell us more about your milk situation so far? If you express droplets onto your nipple surface, what color are they? A creamy white, or a translucent yellow? And how often is your baby nursing? Is she feeding every 2-3 hours, or is she going longer than that?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Isn't it amazing how happy a big poop-filled diaper can make you? Only a mom can feel that way, I think!

Your doctor's advice has me . Supplementing with formula every other feeding will delay your milk production. Milk is produced on a supply=demand basis, so any time you skip a feeding, removing demand from the equation, your supply will end up lower. In addition, early bottle introduction can derail brestfeeding. It's much easier for a baby to get fluid out of a bottle than from the breast, and many babies rapidly decide that they prefer the ease of bottle-feeding to the tricky task of breast-feeding, and they start rejecting the breast. Also, a baby sucks differently on a bottle than on the breast, so a baby who gets bottles early on can end up with an incorrect latch.

If you must supplement, I suggest doing the following:
    1. Contact a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for hands-on help.
    2. If you use bottles, use the slowest flow nipple available, and pause the feeding frequently in order to get the baby used to the ebb and flow rhthym of breastfeeding, and to prevent her from getting overfill.
    3. Keep the amount in the bottles small. 2 oz or less. Newborn tummies are tiny!
    4. Pump every time you give a bottle. This will help maintain your milk supply.

Can you tell us more about your milk situation so far? If you express droplets onto your nipple surface, what color are they? A creamy white, or a translucent yellow? And how often is your baby nursing? Is she feeding every 2-3 hours, or is she going longer than that?

I felt the same way about my dr's advice. And on top of that, the hospital has no LC!! Isn't that just crazy??? The LC I spoke to is with our local health department and is very nice. I tried expressing milk last night after I fed her formula. It was a creamy white. My nipples at this point are cracked and sore, but I continue to let her feed. The type of bottle I'm using is Medela (sp?) and I feed NO MORE than 2oz. Sometimes she only takes 1oz and is satisfied. She breast feeds on demand basically. I try to make sure its every 2 hours but sometimes she wants to eat every hour, or thats how I'm taking her cues. Im a first time mom, so I may be reading them wrong. However, I DO NOT feed her supplement every hour if she looks hungry. We always go with breast.

Okay, creamy white means your milk is in. Congratulations! A lot of moms think that milk coming in means that they are going to feel engorged or see immense quantities of milk, and that's not always the case. Milk production can begin without engorgement.

I am so sorry to hear that you are cracked and sore! I would definitely seek an in-person consult with the LC from the health department. Some soreness is normal even when baby is latches on correctly, but cracks indicate that something else may be going on. Can you tell us a bit more about what you are experiencing, including:
    - the cracks- one large crack per nipple or multiple slit-like cracks?
    - when baby unltaches, what shape are your nipples? Symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical, like new lipsticks?
    - any sensations of itching or burning, or pain in between feeds?
    - are your nipples more red or pink than pre-baby?

ETA: it's likely that you do not need to supplement at all, but if you must, you are certainly going about it in the right way. Always offer breast first, keep supplements small.

hi mama!

I had a hard time knowing when my milk came in with my second baby. It was because i was nursing so much i avoided engorgement.

i want to tell you that you are doing a good job and keep it up. You do not need to give formula mama. just nurse. set yourself in a comfortable place with a laptop, books, snacks, phone tv, whatever you need to stay there all day. I know that sounds odd but as soon as I accepted just focusing on nursing the first few weeks i was so much calmer.

i am sorry your doctor said to give formula after. you dont need to. your milk is all she needs, well that and to be close to you

the beautiful thing about nursing is that is covers everything that the baby needs. you dont need to think, just nurse.

soon it will be easier. keep coming on here and telling us what is going on. we would love to hear it! I am very proud of you mama!

i wanted to add that i sat and read the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition) this time around when my lo was born. it is so great. i think the best part of it is that i felt confident after reading. as a mom it is so hard. you want to do everything you can for the baby and we all have an unfortunate tendency to underestimate ourselves. You are amazing mama! REALLY You grew this baby inside of you!! you gave birth to her!!! and now you are nurturing her with milk and love. all from you. let those thoughts sink in. embrace your own strength. you can do this.