Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painless bad latch??

Default Painless bad latch??

I am just wodnering if it is possible to have a bad ineffective latch but not cause any nipple pain??

Default Re: Painless bad latch??

Anything is possible. But a bad latch eventually leads to reduced milk output, and a not so happy infant. some infants in the early days, self correct their less then optimal latches when the milk comes in.
    are you having symptoms of a bad latch?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

A baby can certainly be latched on correctly but have an ineffective suckle. What's got you worried, mama?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There are basically two criteria for a good latch --

1) It's comfortable for mom.
    2) Baby is transferring milk and gaining well.

So if it's painless yet baby isn't gaining, it could be a latch problem. But that's not what you've got going on, is it?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I am not sure if we have a bad latch or not.

DS is starting to get really fussy at the breast, pulling on and off and very very windy. He is pulling his knees up and getting quiet distressed while feeding.

He does have reflux but this behaviour isn't like what he was doing before he was on meds. because of the reflux I have been dairy free for 3 weeks now and can't say I have noticed any difference.

So am really just going back to basics and starting from the begining again. We had major latch issues initally so am starting there.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    There are basically two criteria for a good latch --

1) It's comfortable for mom.
    2) Baby is transferring milk and gaining well.

So if it's painless yet baby isn't gaining, it could be a latch problem. But that's not what you've got going on, is it?
    No weight issues what so ever. Just a windy unhappy baby.

Thanks for the clarification. That really doesn't sound like a latch issue. Perhaps the reflux is troubling him again, and he has a new way of expressing it? Alternately, is ther any chance that you have a fast letdown, perhaps connected to an oversupply of milk? That can cause gas and can make a baby pull off the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Í am pretty sure that it isn't his reflux as he is pretty content after he has had a burp, and is happy ot play on the floor after a feed.

today I have burped him every time he starts to pull on and off (about 6 times each side) and he has been so much more settled and has slept SOOOOOO much better.

My flow is on the fast side, but he had been coping with it. When he comes off, I just let the milk squirt into a cloth and put him back on. I also lean back when I feed him when possible.

Do you hear any clicking, clucking, squeaking sounds while he is sucking? He could just be breaking suction. This can be because of a number of reasons, but most of them aren't serious as long as he is gaining well. Here is some info..

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...n-nursing.html
    Wifey to Patricio 6/19/10
    Mommy to Patricio 5/25/11

Born Free