Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush??

Default Thrush??

My son is 14 months (today actually) and I've been having a lot of nipple pain...for at least a month? It started when his four top teeth have come down more which now I think may just be a coincidence.

I kept thinking it was his teeth and him being more aggressive, but now I wonder if it is thrush. It hurts pretty much the entire time nursing. It does let up a little after the nursing a few minutes. It's both side, but a little more on left. It's a burning sensation and last a good hour or so after nursing is over. I noticed some bleeding today. I had a really bad clogged duct the other day, so I wondered about a bleb. I got the clog cleared up now (thankfully). I weaned him down to 2x a day morning and night. I'm ready to wean completely because of the pain, but maybe not so much emotionally.

He had thrush 4+ months ago, but I didn't really have any pains or symptoms. He had the white spots all in his mouth and we were both treated with Nystatin until it was gone.

I have noticed my nipples were getting dry/flaky so I started using lanolin more and that's helped a little, but it's still painful for nursing, That leads me back to thrush.

What are your best treatment suggestions? I thought about using gentian violet, but found this...

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/chi...lnesses/thrush

Warning - gentian violet has been used for many years to treat thrush. A recent study done in Australia has linked gentian violet to cancer of the mouth. However, many other professionals around the world believe that it is safe, and continue to recommend it. For this reason, we suggest you use this remedy sparingly, and for as little time as possible.

Should I call in to get another prescription of Nystatin for my DS?
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.

Default Re: Thrush??

uhgg the dreaded thrush!!! when my LO's were down to nursing less than 4 times a day and I got thrush i air dried like crazy. Stopped all soap and powder and perfume
    washed my bras and hung them in the sun to dry and cut sugar, pasta, bread and beer out of my diet for a week. i was able to battle thrush with out meds. b/c my LO's were hardly nursing at that point. I also cleaned LO's mouth after meals.
    i know for most moms this is not the go-to-method but it worked for me when i had older nursers.
    The time I got thrush when dd#4 was an infant i used an orange flavored gel/paste in his mouth and on my nipples. I don't have the name of the medication but I had to buy it from a woman who brought meds. from the UK to the USA b/c it wasn't available here.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair