Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions about daycare

Default questions about daycare

I'm a teacher and have been lucky enough to have the summer off. My lo will be 10weeks when I go back to work. I'm very lucky in that her daycare is in my school! That being said I'm so sad and nervous about leaving her. I have a few questions -
    Im worried about being able to pump enough. I'll be able to pump before work, noon, 2, and then after work. Will this be enough? She nurses every hour and half.

What about comfort nursing? I'm worried she will have a hard time not being able to cuddle up and nurse especially if she's tired.

I'm also so worried about missing quality time with her. I would love to stay home but it's just not possible right now.

I'm looking for any advice and support. I'm sure it will be fine...Im just dreading it! Thanks.

Default Re: questions about daycare

Can you go and nurse her instead of pumping at noon and/or 2? I think that will be enough pumping. It's hard mama, but somehow they (and we) survive.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It's hard to go back to work. Ideally, of course, you will pump as often as your LO nurses. Ideality is not reality, unfortunately. With all three of mine, however, they tended to take bottles less frequently then they would nurse. What I have noticed with my littlest (it might have happened with the others, but it has been a while and the memory dims) is that no matter how recently he has had a bottle, he wants to nurse fairly soon after I get home and then cluster feed throughout the evening. I think some babies just wait for mommy to get back to eat. My second LO ate very little during his first bit at daycare (he was 8 weeks old) but wasn't very fussy and was his usual self. I think he just caught up at home--he was over 18 lbs at 4 months so he definitely wasn't food-deprived.

Hang in there. I am a teacher too, so I am enjoying the summer home with the baby and the rest of the thundering herd. But soon it will be time to go back.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I have thought about nursing during my lunch or conference period but I wasn't sure if it would limit how much milk I am able to pump. I might have to just try it out before I go back. Thanks.

Well, it will limit how much milk you're able to pump, but you won't have to pump as much because you'll be nursing. Maybe you could nurse on one of those breaks and pump on the other. It would be so nice to see your baby during the day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Well, it will limit how much milk you're able to pump, but you won't have to pump as much because you'll be nursing. Maybe you could nurse on one of those breaks and pump on the other. It would be so nice to see your baby during the day.

Plus, the baby can remove milk better than a pump, so this would be a really good option if it's possible.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

hi mama! I had all the same feelings you have. my lo nursed constantly and we were so attached. It was hard.

the first week was hard but it did get better, a lot better very quickly. You dont need to pump every hour but do what you can to not go more than 3 hours without pumping.

Work on pumping once a day about 3-4 weeks before you go back to get into a groove. There is a pumping chit chat thread on here, we will give you a lot of support.

I'm a teacher, as well and will be going back in the fall when my lo is just over 4 months. My schedule looks identical to yours, as far as times when i can pump. So while I don't have any advice to offer, I just wanted to say I completely understand your concerns and tell you there is someone out there in the same situation. sometimes it's just nice to know that...

Hello there! I have a 4 month old and I went back to work when she was 13 weeks. I am able to work from home sometimes, so I don't have to pump all the time. Here's what I have found to be the most helpful: the more I can actually feed my baby the better. I have to pump less and she actually eats more when it's coming from me. I've had my husband bring her to my work so I can feed her or I've come home on a lunch break to feed her. If you can feed her even once during the day I think it's so beneficial. Plus you get to reconnect with each other and when going back to work reconnecting even once is AMAZING!