Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice while weaning

Default Re: Advice while weaning

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcb View Post
    Just to clarify (in regards to the post about nursing while @ home, no pumping needed) My LO sleeps from 7pm until 6 or 7 am. No more night feedings, she gave those up months ago on her own. When I'm working I would be leaving the house sometimes before she is awake, then not home until after she's in bed. I could go 2-3 days without being able to nurse or pump, hence the weaning.
    That is awesome that your LO is sleeping so well....BUT this may change. My LO increased night wakings at the year mark (for her, many of her teeth came in right at that point) where she was sleeping well prior. Just something to consider.

ETA: also I know you mention she will be asleep when you leave and come home...but this also is not set in stone. I have cuddled and nursed LO after her bedtime and in the early morning without disrupting her sleep routine. I'm not *trying* to be devils advocate but I have had a lot of heartache and problems due to inflexibility on my part when LO was changing it up left and right and I couldn't "roll with it". Good luck to you, mama and congratulations for nursing your LO this long!
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; July 14th, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks! Definitely lots of food for thought there I appreciate it. So true, hard to say what the routine will be in a month or two. Lots to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*
    I have had a lot of heartache and problems due to inflexibility on my part when LO was changing it up left and right and I couldn't "roll with it"
    I couldn't agree more!

Please forgive me for being nosy, but is there a particular reason you are set on weaning at one? Obviously nursing into toddlerhood isn't the right choice for every mom, and obviously you are awesome for nursing for the full year and there's no way I would want to guilt trip you into nursing beyond what makes sense for you, but my experiences with nursing toddlers have been so positive that I feel like moms who wean at one may be missing out on some of the big pay-offs of investing that first year. I mean, the first year of nursing can be really hard. But the second year- that's like the icing on the cake. Not strictly necessary, but for some people it's the best part of the cake! I know that nursing got me through some of the most challenging moments with my toddlers. The bumped heads, the skinned knees, the vaccinations, teething, exhaustion, the accidental ingestion of some hot peppers... And after one, a lot of the most challenging aspects of nursing diminished. Once you're not your baby's primary food source, you don't have to be chained to your baby or your pump all the time. You can freely say "Not right now" and skip nursing in public.

Again, no guilt trip intended!!! Just trying to sell you on the fun stuff.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jcb View Post
    Just to clarify (in regards to the post about nursing while @ home, no pumping needed) My LO sleeps from 7pm until 6 or 7 am. No more night feedings, she gave those up months ago on her own. When I'm working I would be leaving the house sometimes before she is awake, then not home until after she's in bed. I could go 2-3 days without being able to nurse or pump, hence the weaning.
    Yeah....I just think at the year point, these things won't be a problem. At all. At this point you can trust your body. I mean I hear what you are saying here. But I really really think that if you aren't going to see your baby for 2-3days at a time.....nursing really might help BOTH of you with the reconnect. I think having your mother who has been with you all the time suddenly gone that much AND no longer having this important connection would be really really hard for a one year old. And even though your child sounds like a DREAM in terms of how things have gone so far.....I am saying you don't need to wean for these reasons. I am pretty confident you COULD go 2-3 days without nursing OR you could climb in bed and snuggle with her and nurse her while she sleeps. Either coming or going.

Way too lazy for formula

Hi Everyone, I know its been forerever since you all gave me advice. I wanted to come on and update you all for awhile now but never got around to it! Thanks for all the info. I did NOT wean and am still breastfeeding. It helped tremendously knowing that my milk supply shouldnt be affected even if I dont pump or nurse for a day! So Thank you all!!

Hey, that's terrific! Thanks for the update.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

YAYY!!!!

Way too lazy for formula

(Just because I've found those very occasional nursings to be super useful in the toddler years!)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It's great that you didn't wean. With DD1 I would often leave before she got up and be home after she went to bed. What I would do was "dream nurse" her. Gently get her up and nurse her. She wouldn't wake, but nurse while she slept. I'd then put her back down. She wasn't sleeping through the night at that point, so when she got up in the middle, I'd bring her into our bed with us and nurse her, drift off to sleep together. Then in the morning, I'd nurse her before I got up and I'd leave her in bed with DH for them to get up later. It worked out really well for us and we went on like that for months.

It really helped me too - to deal with the guilt of not being there and being stuck at work. Even though I didn't see her awake, I still had a way to reconnect with her.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and