Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice while weaning

Default Advice while weaning

My LO is 11 months and I have begun weaning in preparation of going back to work full time a little early.
    I am slowly replacing breasfeedings with bottle (formula) feedings. I dropped the 2nd breastfeeding session 3 days ago after a pretty successful first feeding replacement last week.

Today and yesterday I find my LO is not taking much by bottle, but she is not looking for me to breastfeed her either. This morning I breastfed her when she woke, then before her first nap bottle fed her. She only drank 2 oz. When she woke from her nap I offered her a bottle (because Im worried she isnt getting enough) and she had no interest at all. She is not angry or frustrated, and shows no signs she is looking for the breast instead.

Yesterday she only took about 3 oz in the am (bottle) and then 4 oz. in the afternoon, along with her usual breastfeeding sessions otherwise.

Do you think she is getting enough, and should I not focus on the numbers so much? She eats 3 balanced solid meals a day and is 50th% percentile for weight.

Your help with weaning experience would be appreciated. I am not going to return to breastfeeding, as I work 12 hour days, very busy, could not keep up pumping and never successfully pumped enough milk to feed LO anyway.

Default Re: Advice while weaning

Hi there. I'm not trying to talk you into keeping nursing - but at a year, I just quite pumping while at work and nurse when I'm home.

Did she have cues that she wanted to nurse, and she's not cuing you? How much food would you say she's eating? And is she drinking water? Or other liquids?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hi,

I hear you about the nursing while home. She goes to bed at 7pm until 6 or 7am and I work from 7-7 so I could miss her altogether some days (will be very very hard, I know).

She does have cues, for sure, and today and yesterday she isnt cuing at these times. She cues at bedtime and I do nurse her of course. My plan is to not offer for the feedings Im dropping but not refuse.

I would say on average PER DAY she eats 3-4 TBSP of iron fortified cereal, 1 - 2 TBPS of a protein source (last night it was chicken, sometimes egg yolk, beef with noodles etc) 1 serving of dairy (minigo yogurt, plus some days a little bit of cheese cut op as part of a snack) Pieces of fruit and veggies (banana, broccoli etc.) I also still feed her mashed or purred veggies and fruit to make sure she gets quantity as well. She would eat probably on average 5-6 TBPS of each daily. Also grains (cheerios, or 1/2 piece of toast cut up) as finger food as well. I feed until she is full, because she also cues when she is. She won't even eat something she really likes (cheerios) if she is full, just throws it on the floor.
    When I compare the amounts she eats with guidelines I was given by my Dr. she is on the low end of the normal intake.
    She drinks water, probably 2 oz. per day in total spread throughout the day along with little snacks (cheerios or crackers or something)
    Last edited by @llli*jcb; July 14th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

Have you totaled up the amount of calories she's taking in? Also, could you try making her a smoothie? I have to go, but I'll be back later with some links if I can find them.
    Tracie

Mommy to

no I've never totaled the amount of calories, I will do that (figure out breakfast, and count the rest of the day)
    I've never thought of a smoothie, great idea and will look into that.

Thanks for the help so far!

At 11 months I don't think I'd introduce formula unless you are just concerned about her getting enough overall. I'd up the solids, make sure she's getting a good variety with lots of good healthy fats and maybe introduce cow's milk or some other milk a little early.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Honestly at 11 months in I would NOT replace Breastmilk with formula to wean. I would allow her to feed on demand while together and replace feedings with regular food and water. THAT in and of itself begins the weaning process as Breastmilk becomes no longer her only source of nutrition. The recommendation of a year is a minimal recommendation. Her not being interested probably has to do with the fact that formula is so much harder to digest. It is not being absorbed into her as quickly or as completely as your milk. So it sits in her longer.
    At the year point as long as a child is still nursing at least 3-5 times in a 24 hour period, that is sufficient as long as they are also eating solids. It is still far more calories and far better and more compatible nutrition than any breastmilk replacement or substitute. And by the year point you can trust your body to just make milk. On demand. Not doing it for 12hours will not cause supply issues like it did at 3 or even 9 months.
    I went back to work at 14months fulltime after being home and breastfeeding on demand. I did not pump. There was no place to pump. My child at solids and drank water and we nursed on demand while together. So in the morning. To reconnect or say "Hello" when we saw each other again and the night nursing. Which I really recommend you ponder because.....her first year molars are coming. And they HURT. A lot. And it's about a 4-6 week process. The night nursing really helps with the pain. All this to say I don't think you need to use formula to wean just because you are going back to work. The weaning will begin simply BECAUSE you are going back to work. I would spend more time this month focusing on her solid food intake. Because my son went from nursing every 2-4 hours while together to not nursing at all for 9-10hours a day. The solid food takes the place of the nursings while you are gone. And the breastmilk fills the gaps. There will be no expectation to nurse when you are not there.

Way too lazy for formula

Tracie

Mommy to

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and link.
    I totaled calories consumed so far today and she has had about 439 calories so far PLUS one breastfeeding session this morning (not sure the estimates, I'm assuming it varies greatly)
    She is just under 20 lbs, so she should have approx. 909 cal per day (used 100cal/kg/day)
    So shes had about half and still has 2 more milk feedings at least + dinner (which is always her biggest meal)
    This makes me feel better.

I am not going to continue breastfeeding past 1 year (great for those who do, I've come to terms with weaning though) So now I need to decide if I should just be giving her homogenized milk and breast milk and up solids then slowly decrease breastfeeds until she is completely weaned. Here is is recommended homogenized milk can be introduced between 9-12 months. I see the benefit of this (no bottle, no formula) but started with the formula because I just felt like she wouldn't be getting enough fat etc. that you know is in breast milk or formula. Now with this info I'm leaning towards forgoing the formula but still weaning over the next month.

I will have to be diligent in choosing foods (thanks for the link Tracie) to make a well rounded diet.
    Thoughts?

Just to clarify (in regards to the post about nursing while @ home, no pumping needed) My LO sleeps from 7pm until 6 or 7 am. No more night feedings, she gave those up months ago on her own. When I'm working I would be leaving the house sometimes before she is awake, then not home until after she's in bed. I could go 2-3 days without being able to nurse or pump, hence the weaning.