Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "He has 8 teeth, isn't he biting you, mom?" DS Ped

Default Re: "He has 8 teeth, isn't he biting you, mom?" DS Ped

I don't assume all children bite, but my son is only 10 weeks (i.e. no teeth) and he's chomped me painfully a few times already. I intend to nurse for at least a year, but I'm nervous about him nursing once he has teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mandy314 View Post
    I don't assume all children bite, but my son is only 10 weeks (i.e. no teeth) and he's chomped me painfully a few times already. I intend to nurse for at least a year, but I'm nervous about him nursing once he has teeth.
    Don't worry too much about it. Your baby is still very small, and that means that even when his latch is prefect his gum line is close to the nipple, because he can't fit a huge amount of breast into his little mouth. As he grows, he's going to be able to achieve a deeper latch, and his gum line will be further onto the elastic and relatively insensitive tissue of the areola/breast, instead of being so close to the delicate and sensitive nipple. Therefore, the chances of your baby hitting the nipple when he chomps should diminish with time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ryan bit for a short period of time and it would have ended sooner had I known not to react to it. What worked was just ending the nursing session with no fuss. If he really wanted to nurse, he would ask and if he did not bite again he could. If he did bite again then we were done for a little bit. It didn't take long for him to figure it out. I don't remember the last time he bit me.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Not all doctors are educated on breastfeeding.. In fact, most of them aren't. But formula? Formula companies spend $10000 on every medical student before they graduate. (I just read this in "Breastfeeding and Human Lactation" (It's a textbook)
    I'm a NICU nurse and I am still appalled occasionally at the ignorant comments I see Neonatologists make about breastfeeding, I always use those moments to educate them and put them gently in their place regarding breastfeeding.

So it's most likely that you as a nursing mom know more than your doctor. Especially if you are a LLL girl!

My son bit a few times. I immediately said NO! and then sat him on the floor and said "No nurse if you bite! OW! Mommy owww!!!"
    He quickly learned that biting got him a trip out of mommas lap and not being able to nurse for a few minutes.
    Worked like a charm!!
    I got the idea here on the forums of course : )

At 22 months we haven't had any biting since like 8 months! And of course, he has a full set of beautiful teeth : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wreckgoddess View Post
    Formula companies spend $10000 on every medical student before they graduate. (I just read this in "Breastfeeding and Human Lactation" (It's a textbook)
    That's awful. I never used to think so badly of formula but these forums have opened my eyes to the ways of the formula companies. So glad I have this resource!!

I'll never forget what my first doctor I went to see when I was pregnant said to me. He knew I had a horse and worked for a horse farm and said "You know how mares just have a foal and it starts nursing right away? It's not like that for people. We have evolved away from that so it's a lot harder for humans. Don't feel like you have to breastfeed. Formula is fine."

If I hadn't been determined to make it just six weeks (which turned into 3 months, then 6 months, then well, I guess whenever??) and really educated myself I wouldn't have been successful. There was no support where I lived other than the Internet.
    Last edited by @llli*ryansmomy; July 14th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin