Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "He has 8 teeth, isn't he biting you, mom?" DS Ped

Default "He has 8 teeth, isn't he biting you, mom?" DS Ped

At my son's year checkup, his ped made that comment. I said, well he has bitten me in the past but I taught him not to by just ending the nursing session when he bites and soon he learned if he wanted to nurse he needed to not bite. So the doctor tells me that it's time to wean now that it's been a year. Sigh.

My ob/gyn tried to insist I go on the pill for birth control at 6 months. I expressed concern about supply and she said that the pill doesn't effect supply. That since my baby was starting solids my supply would drop anyway and that it wasn't the pills fault. (I got a paraguard instead) Another doctor of mine said she was shocked I was nursing at six months, they never see that. And that it was time to wean. Nursing had no benefits beyond six months.

I went to see yet another doctor about a cough I have been having. He prescribed me a medication and I told him I was nursing and asked if was safe. He checked and said it was and CONGRATULATED me for nursing so long. The first doctor I have ever been to that was supportive. Even my doc for prenatal care told me breastfeeding was really hard to do and I would probably have trouble.

And people wonder why I don't trust doctors. Hmmmmm....
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Default Re: "He has 8 teeth, isn't he biting you, mom?" DS Ped

And we are still nursing and it's over a year. We'll wean when we're ready and not before!

- Anais Nin

may be time to switch doctors.

good for you for knowing what is best and sticking to your beliefs,
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

time to switch doctors? what other options do you have?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Wow!! Ignorant people make me want to pull my hair out, especially ignorant doctors! Way to go mama on doing what's best for you and baby!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

I have been through several doctors in this area, I think it's just that bf is so uncommon around here. (I have never seen another mama NIP) I like Ryan's pediatrician for the most part. He just doesn't understand bf. Lots of people thought I would wean on Ryan's first birthday - yeah, right!

The one before this attempted to retract his foreskin to "check his urethra" I put a stop to it instantly, but I had to be very firm with her before she would back down. Argh. At least this one thinks uncirced is normal instead of weird. (The current ped is from Greece I think, must be more common there?)

- Anais Nin

Sorry to hear about the biting comment. I have a good friend that always asks me about LO biting me (has she bitten you yet? aren't you afraid? how many teeth does she have? etc etc), especially now that she is over 1 year old. Sometimes I think she is just trying to be funny since I've explained it to her multiple times. Some people just don't get it, even if they mean well.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I feel the same way about docs. They seem to think that just because they're doctors ALL of their OPINIONS are facts. I
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Some people just don't get it, even if they mean well.
    I agree.. I get tired of the "I would have stopped when she got teeth" Why do people assume that they bite?
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

At around four months my SIL told me (not asked me, TOLD me) that I would wean as soon as my son got teeth. He's had teeth for a couple of months now, and we're doing just fine.