Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dumb question :)

Default Dumb question :)

Okay....so I'm day weaning my DS because I'm going back to work at the end of August and he's never taken a bottle. I've changed his schedule so we nurse when he wakes up and again around the time I will be getting back from work (about 3). Not too bad since we only had to give up one feeding. In addition to cutting back one feeding, he seems to have gotten really fast at nursing, something I know is normal for older babies (he's thirteen months old). He has also started eating a lot more solids than he had in the past.
    This is where my stupid question comes in: Can breastmilk ever just dry up without you knowing? I don't pump anymore (I only did for DS's cereal which I now give him with cow's milk), and with taking out that feeding, he's not peeing as much as he used to, although I do think he's still wetting and pooping within the norm. Sometimes I feel like he's only really comfort nursing. I'm just wondering for my own piece of mind since things in our world have changed so much all of a sudden.

Thanks! I'm a first-time mom and I don't know anybody who has nursed this long or in this fashion, so I don't really have anybody else to ask.

Default Re: Dumb question :)

Your milk can dry up without you knowing but not really overnight. My quess is that he is getting a lot of good solids and nurses for both food and for comfort. It's normal as you say, to be a quick efficient nurser and to have less frequent wet diapers.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Your question is not dumb! Infact your question makes sense. for me, my milk never completely ever dried up. when my children weaned my breasts never became heavy with milk due to no milk removal. However when i would teach a new mom how to hand express and when I used my own breasts as a teaching tool. i would always get a trickle of milk. even though its been years since i last nursed and even though i have passed through menopause my breast still react to a crying baby.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

When your nursing a toddler its a lot different. I know my breast decreased in size after a year and I rarely get engorged or even feel full. But I can still manually express some milk. I haven't pumped since my LO was a year which was a year and a half and sometimes I am tempted to pump just to see how much I get but I am not that curious. The supply is regulated still by demand so if you toddler gets sick and nurses more frequently your supply will increase and if you nurse less often it will decrease but you LO will still get milk packed with antibodies, vitamins, and the bonding is price less. I agree not a stupid question at all.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

My friend at work pump weaned at a year and was only nursing once a day or so.
    We got stuck at work during a blizzard last winter (Don't know if you heard about the big blizzard that hit Oklahoma or not... but we are nurses and they wouldn't let us go home for a few days)
    so she pumped like 1-2 times a day at work. She got 3 ounces each time she pumped.
    Does this make you feel a little better?

Then I have another nurse friend at work who pump weaned at a year and was only nursing her baby once a day... in the morning. One day she said she pumped (her baby was somewhere with a fmaily member I guess) and she got 10 ounces. She was like, "My SON IS EATING 10 OUNCES EVERY MORNING???" Lol

So everyone is different... but yes, there is probably still milk there!!!! And it would surprise you I think how much.
    Even though I don't feel like I have anything in me much anymore, If I do pump, I get like 4-5 ounces.

Just make sure you son has 4-6 diapers a day and you are fine!

Oh, and at about a year, my son started nursing in like 5 minute sessions. So apparently he's getting 2-5 ounces in these 5 minute sessions.. Yes they do get faster and more efficient!
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Thanks Mommies! You'd think I'd be able to trust the "system" by now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    Your question is not dumb! Infact your question makes sense. for me, my milk never completely ever dried up. when my children weaned my breasts never became heavy with milk due to no milk removal. However when i would teach a new mom how to hand express and when I used my own breasts as a teaching tool. i would always get a trickle of milk. even though its been years since i last nursed and even though i have passed through menopause my breast still react to a crying baby.
    That is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    That is awesome
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!