Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to continue to pump at work??

Question How long to continue to pump at work??

My little man is now 8 months old in about 16 days he will be 9 months old.

Well Today I had one of my "first run ins" with the boss on pumping. Before it was wait till "dads" outtat the office, or his dad"who is older and has hardly any health issues, has a case of gout, and then hes like ugh you have to wait till he comes out.

WEll for about a little over a week now "i only work 3 days a week, so for about the last 5 days of work I had change up my pumping time. 1 because it works better for us that share the office in my opinion. Because the other person doesnt leave untill 9 am. I used to pump at 8:30, then every three hours from then on out.

Now I just wait till Mr. K is outta the office and do what I gotta do, Which is just about 10 am or 9ish, So I wait till 10. Then I do my every 3 hours

Well today the "Boss" man was like dad will be back shortly so why the change. Ugh kinda a change in schedual. "me and mr k were good. but this guy doesnt care, even though hes never been to big a bother for the pumping situation.

The he goes on to ask me. SO HOW LONG do you plan on doing this??? UGH untill mmy son weans or I pump wean? I dont know when, I have to see??

UGHT SO How long do you usually pump when you work. What is a good age to start pump weaning...I was thinking not before a year old at least.

My supply hasnt always been great, or at least I dont pump that much, HE takes in 15 oz a day some times that is an ouce to 2 ounces of formula because I didnt pump enough milk. BUt generally its bm.

He is on solids and he loves food. he drinks ok from a sippy cup. uses bottles to nap/ he aslo still uses me to nap

SO what do you ladies think???

ALSO, I know that me pumping has been a stick some times to the boss man, Its not been said but there have been a few incidences where remarks were made and things like that, But never a I have a problem with this...

Default Re: How long to continue to pump at work??

Either your bosses' son is really interested in the details of lactation or he is a creep. they are not mutually exclusive.

What state do you live in?

You are protected for pumping until a year in most states, some states don't put a limit on the age.

I would say that a lot of moms do pump wean around a year and then nurse while with their children at night and on weekends. That's totally doable. I have a friend that pumps the entire time she nurses, and she weans hers around 18 months. It's really personal preference.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Most pump wean at a year. I'd leave it open ended with your boss though. Mine asked me the same question at 6 mos and I told him I'd pump for at least a year. That way I had room to go longer if necessary.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Most pump wean at a year. I'd leave it open ended with your boss though. Mine asked me the same question at 6 mos and I told him I'd pump for at least a year. That way I had room to go longer if necessary.
    I pump weaned at 14 months
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I'd say that, depending on the size of the business, you're protected for at least a year. I pumped for 1 yr with my first and plan to pump at least a year with this one. I'd say, keep it up as long as you can. Sounds like maybe one boss is OK with it and the other isn't? Maybe just tell him, "My dr recommends that I pump for at least 1.5 yrs (or what ever you think your furthest out point would be)". Then if you don't want to go that far, you can back it down?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*efifer View Post
    I'd say that, depending on the size of the business, you're protected for at least a year. I pumped for 1 yr with my first and plan to pump at least a year with this one. I'd say, keep it up as long as you can. Sounds like maybe one boss is OK with it and the other isn't? Maybe just tell him, "My dr recommends that I pump for at least 1.5 yrs (or what ever you think your furthest out point would be)". Then if you don't want to go that far, you can back it down?
    this depends on the state. Maine protects for three years - i'm not sure if there are any who do less?? Anyway, i agree with other posters to keep it open ended - i planned to pump wean at 12 months, but wasn't ready and ended up pumping for 15 months.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it