Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby wearing question

Exclamation Baby wearing question

I have read articles about how you can nurse babies using a sling or carrier (or are they both different)? Has anyone done this successfully? I need to some information/ advice on this as I intend to get one myself.

Is it very discreet? I would like to spend more time with my 5 yo doing her activities while nursing her little brother but I live with an extended family (which includes a few male family members) so nursing outside the bedroom is not so convenient.

It will be nice to be able to nurse and watch television or play playdough with my older child at the same time.

Thank you in advance for your advice/information.

Default Re: Baby wearing question

A ring sling is very easy to nurse in and extremely discreet. I have walked through Target nursing 3 babies and nobody knew a thing!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

lol, thats funny.

Anyway, I meant I've done that each time I had a baby.

Hate being on my iPod. I can't see what I'm saying.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a Moby but I love my Maya Ring Sling for NIP and around the house -- just to be hands free. MY LO is only 5 1/2 wks and we've "mastered" NIP already. Practice a few times before leaving the house/room and you'll be good to go!

good luck and enjoy your hands free nursing!
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

I found a ring sling (homemade from this pattern, I think, http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/sling.html) to be a great help in the early days of nursing my LO. He stopped wanting to be in it after a few months, but nursing in public can still be plenty discreet and practical once you and the baby have learned what you're doing.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Mayawrap.com has ring slings, easy to use and comes with an instructing dvd! I love mine and I cam nurse in it walking around and have one hand free!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

My LO is 9 weeks. He's probably about 6 kilos (12lbs?) now. He was 5 kilos plus during the last weigh in 3 weeks ago.

A few more questions from me.

1) Will the baby's legs / hands be squashed as it looks like everything is wrapped inside the sling?

2) I am always worried that my LO's nose is covered by my breast when he's feeding so I am constantly checking. What about the sling? Since I am able to do other things, I worry that I might forget to check on his nose, as compared to when I am feeding him in my arms (I can't do anything else except stare at him)

3) I have done more research online

- the carrier is like a little chair that either sits in front or behind.
    - the sling is like a long strip of cloth that wraps around the body.

What about the wrap? Is that the same as the sling?

So the recommendations (from most of the posts) will be the ring sling, am I right?

I will go and do some shopping next week so if you have further advice, please let me know. Also thank you all in advance for answering more of my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    Yes, it's AWESOME!!! And very discreet. Do you already own a sling, wrap, or carrier? Nursing can be done in almost any style of babywearing device that places your baby in front or on your hip, facing you.

Check youtube for video demonstrations if you already own one, and check the brand website, too. If you don't have a carrier yet, I recommend the SleepyWrap for little ones (like under 5 mos/15 lbs) and the Ergo for older babies (although it can be adapted with an insert for newborns). But other mamas on here have had success with all different types, including homemade--just gotta figure out what you and your baby like! How old is he?
    I had the same question about which sling to use, the sleepywrap seems so complicated to don, although the "sleeves" do look like they would make it more discreet, how are these for newborns under 2 months? Thanks!

A wrap carrier is a long piece of cloth similar to a ring sling, except that it's secured with knots and folds instead of rings. I find my Moby wrap to be my most comfortable carrier (the term used for all devices with which you wear a baby), though I don't use it much now that DD is bigger. It can be a little more complicated to get on, but the possibilities are endless and if you get a woven fabric (instead of a knit, like the Moby), you can use it until your baby grows out of being carried altogether. I'll confess, though, I couldn't get the hang of nursing in it. Others do it, so I know it's possible.

As for home, you may want to invest in a couple nursing tops for hanging out, watching TV, being with relatives. You won't always want LO in a carrier to nurse, especially when you have to take him out to burp or he gets old enough that he's only nursing for 5 minutes at a time.

I do believe the ring sling is the easiest to nurse in. If you want to make your own, check out slingrings.com to get some good rings. They're very cheap and you can pick your size and color.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Does his legs and hands stick out of the sling? What about support for his neck?