Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 months old & EXTREMELY fussy!

Default 2 months old & EXTREMELY fussy!

Hello,

My LO has been doing well with nursing up until a week ago. He is currently 2 months old and will be 3 months on the 22nd. I had to start back work earlier than expected and he was bottled fed while I was at work, but I as able to nurse him when I got home. So on average he had about 2-3 bottles.

We took a family trip to California for 11 days and DH and I went on a 3 day trip. I was away from my LO for 3 days and he was exclusively bottle fed. When I returned he latched on immediately with no issues but very fussy at night. My letdown is very forceful and he gets fussy when it comes out too fast and he chokes.

He is now attending daycare and bottle feeds there, but nursed when I got home last night. However, he refuses to nurse and go to sleep and has become extremely fussy b/w the hours of 11pm-2am He also refused to nurse this morning before I took him to daycare. Not sure if he was still irritated from this morning. He didn't go to bed until 2am and woke up at 6am

Is this normal? I'm still pumping at work to build supply for daycare, but why is he refusing to nurse and has become uncontrollably fussy? I know that it's not nipple confusion because he nurses when he wants to

Default Re: 2 months old & EXTREMELY fussy!

Holding a crying baby who just. won't. nurse (when you know if they would just give it up and latch on, darnit!) is one of the most stressful things in the world, IMO.

Here's an article on kellymom on fussiness: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html
    Here's another on getting baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I think one thing I tend to forget is how sensitive babies are to our moods. It's easier said than done, but trying to remain calm yourself can be a great soothing technique. Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

babies can be savvy when it comes to reading our moods. your LO might want a leisurely meal. but mornings are busy and everyone needs to be a team member to get out the door in time. On the mornings you are working be sure you have plenty of milk for day care use. If you can charm him into nursing during the late hours of the night, wee hours of the morning, great. try to find time to pump before you leave for work. keep the lines of communication open with day care so they know to feed him if your LO skipped his a.m. feeding. he might be calmer in the afternoons when the Two of you are home and there is nothing else on the agenda.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

How long is he at the daycare every day? It does sound like he has developed a bottle preference. How much is he eating while he's away from you during the day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    babies can be savvy when it comes to reading our moods. your LO might want a leisurely meal. but mornings are busy and everyone needs to be a team member to get out the door in time. On the mornings you are working be sure you have plenty of milk for day care use. If you can charm him into nursing during the late hours of the night, wee hours of the morning, great. try to find time to pump before you leave for work. keep the lines of communication open with day care so they know to feed him if your LO skipped his a.m. feeding. he might be calmer in the afternoons when the Two of you are home and there is nothing else on the agenda.
    That makes more sense. Yes, we are all rushing to get out of the house, so I can only imagine he senses my frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How long is he at the daycare every day? It does sound like he has developed a bottle preference. How much is he eating while he's away from you during the day?
    He just started daycare yesterday, so he's only been there for one day. But he was EBF'ing with a bottle here and there if I was not around for a couple of hours.

I'm thinking that he may be teething and I plan on trying some teething tablets tonight.

He has all the signs and symptoms for a early bird teether. Drooling, Sucking on his hands, refusing to nurse, etc...