Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My milk output drops drastically at my 11pm pumping.

Default My milk output drops drastically at my 11pm pumping.

This is the strangest thing... Well, at least for me.

I finally got my 2 preemies to breast feed with a nipple shield. They are both still in the NICU since 03/20/11. I can only breastfeed them at 8pm after work. Once I go home and pump at 11pm what I normally get with pumping is cut in half from my right breast.

Typically I get 4ounces from the left and 5 from the right when I pump. But at 11pm I struggle to even get 2 ounces from my right breast.

I though maybe it had something to do with me nursing the girls at 8pm, but I didn't nurse them last night and still at 11pm I have a decrease.

I have been exclusively pumping from 03/20/11 until I was able to attempt breast feeding 05/08/11, so now I breastfeed once a day and pump the rest of the time. The girls only started to actually breastfeed in mid June was the first I was able to get them to latch.

I used to pump at least 8 times a day, but once I got established and returned to work I am now pumping 6-7 times a day. It's been going ok for a couple of months until just the last couple of weeks.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: My milk output drops drastically at my 11pm pumping.

It is normal for moms to experience a bit of a supply dip in the evenings. Prolactin levels tend to peak in the night and then drop throughout the day, reaching their lowest level in the late afternoon-evening. The only way to change this pattern is by either allowing the baby or babies to nurse as much as possible, or to mimic that constant nursing with the pump, i.e. Pump your heart out during that period. The increased demand will train your body to increase supply.

Basically, I'm saying that you probably need to add in some pumping sessions, particularly when your yield is lowest.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I pump at 6:30 - 7pm, then breastfeed both babies from 8-9pm, and then pump at 11pm. You think maybe I should pump at 10 and then 11? When I pump after 11 pm my milk production is ok.

Yeah, that is exactly what I'd do. At first you probably won't get any more milk from two sessions than you do just pumping once at 11 o'clock. But after a few nights, maybe as much as a couple of weeks worth, the increased stimulation should result in improved yield.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

just wanted to say how great it is that they nurse now. good job mama!