Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating more than one solid at a time...

Default Eating more than one solid at a time...

I just started offering solids to my very ready and very interested 6 month old a week before he turned 6 months, so between 2-3 weeks ago. I am mostly making my own baby food but am going to have to use some store bought baby food. I got on Gerber's website, and they have a "Menu Planner" guide where you choose your child's developmental level and they come up with a weekly menu. I looked because I do want to make sure my son is getting everything he needs i.e. iron, etc. They say to be giving many different kinds of solids during the day, and different ones at different meals as well. His NP said I should do two solid feedings a day, so that is what I have been doing, but with only one type of food per meal, and I haven't introduced fruit yet so it is usually a vegetable or cereal with breast milk. Should I be offering more than one thing per meal instead of what I am doing? I am concerned with watching reactions to what my son eats. We have no known allergies/irritants to food in the family, but still want to be safe.

Also, I honestly love nursing my son more than anything. But sometimes I feel like it would be easier if I had expressed milk available all of the time for him instead of nursing him, so he can have breast milk while eating his solids, and so I know how much he is drinking. I have to go back to school soon, and sadly, with clinicals, I will be away from him for 12.5 hours one day a week and only 3 hours two other days. I am going to need some sort of schedule for him so his nutrition doesn't get lost in the mix when I go back to school in a month.

I know this post is all over the place, never know where exactly to post my thoughts. Thanks for the insight in advance.
    I'm Donna
    Wife to my best friend Ronnie
    Mommy To:
    Colin born 1/1/11, 9lbs even - 22 inches
    Natalie born 4/5/13, 6lbs 9oz - 19.5 inches

Default Re: Eating more than one solid at a time...

My first advice - stop looking at the Gerber website! Here is a MUCH better resource:http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/YES it is totally ok to offer one food at a time and take it slow. Just like breast feeding - watch the baby when doing solids and baby will let you know when he is ready to be eating more solids and let you know when he's done. Your baby is still very young and solids at this point should be about exploring and NOT his main source of nutrition. Who will be taking care of him when you go to school? I'd suggest continuing to give bottles FIRST and then OFFERING solids a couple times. But NOT making baby eat solids and NOT with any sort of instructions about how much baby "should" be eating.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Gerber is trying to SELL baby food. Definately check out BLS - even if you aren't comfortable with it the basic principles of baby feeding - like looking for readiness, cues, letting baby pick how much to eat, etc. are really valuable.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Gerber is trying to SELL baby food. Definately check out BLS - even if you aren't comfortable with it the basic principles of baby feeding - like looking for readiness, cues, letting baby pick how much to eat, etc. are really valuable.
    Gerber wants to sell you as many $0.59 jars of puree as possible. That is their main goal. Not supporting you nursing until 1 or longer, or reacting to your baby as an individual with individual needs and preferences.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies! I will check out both of those websites. I know he loves the solids I have been giving him, and he will be eating about 95% homemade baby food. He still nurses about 6x a day and 2-3 at night, so he is still getting a lot of mommy milk! I wasn't sure I liked how I was going about this though, so thank you for the referrals to those sites. I'm sure I will be back asking silly questions again. Leave it to the first time momma for that.
    I'm Donna
    Wife to my best friend Ronnie
    Mommy To:
    Colin born 1/1/11, 9lbs even - 22 inches
    Natalie born 4/5/13, 6lbs 9oz - 19.5 inches