Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Sweet Potatoes Gassy?

Default Are Sweet Potatoes Gassy?

I thought they were supposed to be a pretty harmless food- but when mentioning I was going to try giving some to Aaron, a friend said "Sweet potatoes are gassy!" Is this true?? He's had squash so far and I'm not sure what food to have him try next...

Default Re: Are Sweet Potatoes Gassy?

No. I've never heard that before, and IME they have been really easy on the tummy. Have fun with them!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Dd loves sweet potatoes! IME the only gassy foods are foods that make you gassy...broccoli, beans, etc, and dd even tolerated those well!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

YES YES YES They have a lot of pectin in them and made Thomas VERY gassy when we tried them for the first time at about 7 months, now 18 months no problem.... Brittan

Oh my gosh, I laughed when I read this....I fed mine sweet potatoes for the first time a while ago and he sounds like a motorboat!!!! LOL No fussiness just lots of audible gas

Ummmmmmm...........that's the first I've heard of it. I always gave my boys sweet potatoes, they loved them, I never had any problems with gas after sweet potatoes. Like I said that's a new one on me.

I think it must depend on the little one...my DS, who is 6 months, has had sweet potatoes twice and both times he's had really bad gas...enough that it has kept him up a bit at night. I was surprised but we'll wait and try again when he is older. Do you think there is a difference in the jar sweet potato and pieces of a baked sweet potato? We are doing baby led and gave DS sweet potato wedges. I don't know...I was just surprised that sweet potatoes gave DS tummy trouble.

I should add to my response that we have had NO luck with baby foods. He was up moaning last night after the sweet potatos for lunch but he has had the same reaction to peas and carrots. He's probably just not ready for them. I'm sure it just depends on the child!

Let me just say that DS loves sweet potatoes and we haven't had any issues with gas or upset tummy. That said...there are many foods that I eat that make him gassy...but not necessarily fussy, KWIM? I eat beans and he farts up a storm but doesn't seem bothered by it. And my DH thinks its hysterical!

We don't do any jarred baby food, I made my own sweet potatoes for him and he loves them. Cries when I tell him we're "all done". I'd say give it a try with a small amount and see how your DS reacts.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Hmmm...I was very interested to hear that some had had gas with sweet potatoes! My dd loves them. I doubt there is any difference between the canned and the freshly cooked, but since dd has had both with no reaction, I am not the best to ask.

Dd has terrible gas...she always has. Not smelly, and not particularly troubling (although sometimes she seems pained by it), she toots all the time!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes