Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

Default Re: Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

While there is no research to guide us, Kay has wondered whether there is any risk if the mother stores her pump between babies? Would re-seeding be an issue for the next newborn?
    Wondering about this...I used the same pump with my second and I did with my first (though actually, I hardly used it with my second, he was so attached to the breast)...Maybe I should take my old pump apart...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I reused, but I figure MY kids are exposed to MY germs and probably the mold in our environment. But that would not be the case of I loaned you my pump.

Eta: the used pump I did use..it was from a BFF who had barely used it, never got more than a couple ounces, so I knew it hadn't been flooded with milk in the tubes...and we took it apart to look. And I knew there was a risk to my child if there was stuff in it I couldn't see.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; December 5th, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

400 hrs for a hospital grade? I wonder how long the freestyle lasts. I don't want to think of how many hours I pumped because it was for 9 mos, 10-12x/day 15 min/session. So we're probably looking at a new one if we have another baby?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    400 hrs for a hospital grade? I wonder how long the freestyle lasts. I don't want to think of how many hours I pumped because it was for 9 mos, 10-12x/day 15 min/session. So we're probably looking at a new one if we have another baby?
    I think it was 400 for a professional - which would be PISA etc...I would think freestyle would count there
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I have a place that can test suction power of a pump, I don't know if most people have that, but I will do it before I need it again just to make sure I'm not defeating myself.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    I think it was 400 for a professional - which would be PISA etc...I would think freestyle would count there
    Yes.

Hospital grades are different. I have to give the one I rented back in January, and I will get a new one as the IBCLC I rented it from will send the hospital grade back to Medela. They can tune up the multiple user pumps, just not the single user pumps.

And yes, if you used the Freestyle that much, I'd just get a new one. IF you plan to go back to work. Otherwise, don't buy one until you actually need it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!