Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

Default Re: Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

I did, but I pumped more ounces of milk in the first month working part time with DD than I did the whole time working full time with DS (long story ) If my pump had been used much with the first child I wouldn't have. As well as the mold issue you also have to deal with a motor that has had more use than recommended (and the suction can be terrible)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I'm reusing my pump with my second child... I haven't seen any issues.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm reusing my pump with my second child... I haven't seen any issues.
    I am too. I'm not worried about mold, just that the motor holds out for 6 more months
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Wow! Thanks for this post and thread @aprilsmagic!

I guess I'll have to buy a used pump for work or rock my PISA tote to work and back =D

ETA: I meant new pump for work.
    Last edited by @llli*ellavinophile; August 16th, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches

I would reuse and have reused for a subsequent child. After all, they have been exposed to the same germs, more or less. But...the mold issue
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My sister and I share a pump, but we would also share milk if we needed to so I guess that's a moot point. I wouldn't buy a used pump from someone I don't know, but I have no problem using my sister's pump. I'm just hoping the motor holds out for another couple kids... is that likely??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mskalinin View Post
    My sister and I share a pump, but we would also share milk if we needed to so I guess that's a moot point. I wouldn't buy a used pump from someone I don't know, but I have no problem using my sister's pump. I'm just hoping the motor holds out for another couple kids... is that likely??
    Depends on how much use it gets. 400 hours is about a professional grade pump's lifespan.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Bump
    Susan

I wouldn't buy a used pump. But I think that's different than using one that you got for free....

Way too lazy for formula

So, a free pump won't have mold in it?

ETA: I called Medela. The told me flat out to NOT reuse or give one of their pumps from someone else. The Freestyle is an OPEN system as well. They told me to toss my PISA and Freesyle when done. Granted, I wore them out over all these kids and with EPing (although I use a professional grade once a day, preferring a hospital grade). But I'm irked you can't send them to be reconditioned and given to someone who needs one
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; December 5th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
    Susan