Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

Default Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

Good article from the Kellymom FB feed today

http://www.breastfeedingmaterials.co...d-breast-pumps
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Why to NOT Buy a Used Pump

Thanks for the post I was thinking about buying a used pump this time but definately won't this time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Oh, that's excellent. Thank you for posting it.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I wish I had had this when I was trying to explain to my MIL why I didn't want an old PIS.

I thought that there was a company that made all their pumps multi-user but I can't remember who it was
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I opened my medela something-or-other (I don't know what it's called) to fix it a while ago and it didn't look to me like any air would go through the mechanisms. There was just a drum looking thing that would move in and out.

There are some that are labeled for multiple users; Hygeia comes immediately to mind.

Ameda and Lansinoh would probably also be considered closed systems but are not labeled as such, but after reading this...I'm not entirely sure.

I have heard mixed on a Medela Freestyle. I've been told, yes, closed, no not closed. PIS/A definitely are not closed.

And this article does not address the following issues:
    1. how hard the pump was used. You don't know how much use that pump got. For example, if you bought my used pump when I'm done with it (not that I would offer it). I use it a lot but prefer a Symphony, so it doesn't get as much wear as one owned by someone who pumped 10 times a week with it for 8-10 months at work. But the pump might not be as effective as if you bought a new one, and that could damage your supply. The professional grade pumps are meant for 1 year of use, really.
    2. Disposal. Too bad they can't be refurbished and sold, or at least recycled. What are you supposed to do with an old pump? Toss it, I guess. Like an old carseat.

Medela PIS/A are KNOWN open systems. Even though it looks like air can't move through them, it does. Definitely not closed. BOO to Medela.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    There are some that are labeled for multiple users; Hygeia comes immediately to mind.
    that's the one
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Here's another one that's closed and labeled for multiple users. I almost bought this one with baby #3

http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/bre...iley_a/186.htm
    Susan

Another terrific article on why breastpump sharing is a BAD BAD idea. Photos included.

http://mythnomore.blogspot.com/2011/...or-borrow.html

Regarding sterilizing. Running hot water through a pump is NOT the same as sterilizing. To sterilize, there is heat plus contact time needed. And that would simply not be possible to do to a pump; I could see the contact time damaging the pump.
    Susan

So is reusing a pump with a second child okay? I guess it's a little late in the game for me to be asking , but I just saw this and am curious.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10