Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help - Solids and Breastfeeding

Question Help - Solids and Breastfeeding

My ds just turned a year old and does not seem interested in eating and only wants to breastfeed. My ds will sometimes go no more than an hour without breastfeeding. I have various reasons why I think he is not interest in eating: walking, teething, independent eating, etc. My concern is that maybe I might be breastfeeding him to much and that may be interfering with his food intake. Although, I do not mind to breastfeed him, but I am worried he might not be getting enough calories/nutrients from other sources including iron. I would appreciate your comments on this.

Is it normal to cluster feed sometimes even at a year old?
    Should I cut down on breastfeeding at least to every two hours?

Thanks in advance,

Janet

Default Re: Help - Solids and Breastfeeding

It is normal to cluster feed at your baby's age. And my advice would be to continue breastfeeding on demand. Many baby's that age are still nursing exclusively ... and even those on solids should still be getting 75% of their nutrition from your breast milk. You might find the information at THIS LINK reassuring and helpful. This link states:

"All you need to do is to continue to offer foods. Don't worry if he's not interested or takes very small amounts. Your only true responsibility is what you offer, when you offer it and how you offer it, not whether or not he eats it. That has to be up to him. Trying to force, coax, or cajole your child into eating is never recommended. Continue to nurse on demand, day and night, and trust your child to increase the solids when he's ready. As baby slowly moves into eating more solids, your milk will fill any nutritional gaps nicely"

Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Yup, exactly what the PP said.

Also, I found that when my LO turned 1 he started to nurse like crazy! It was like having a newborn again. I even got a brief rebound of sore nipples as he was latched on so much. Not sure what it was about, but it subsided by the time he was 13-14 months old.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in this! And thanks so much for the link, Annie!!! I, too, have been having similar issues w/ DD, who is now 14 mo and still refusing solids (w/ a few RARE exceptions!). Posted a thread last week under the "starting solids" topic titled "Can you wait to late to start solids", but only got 1 reply (in case anyone wants to read the specifics of my situation and offer some advice.... :-D). I was just worried that I screwed things up somehow. I'm glad to hear that it really ISN'T that abnormal to have a child that isn't interested yet -- but of course, we get a TON of pressure from everybody around since a lot of our friends and family are "old school" and the others had kids who were highly motivated to eat by around 6-8 months -- just hard not to feel like "weirdos" b/c our child isn't eating solids yet!
    ~Shannon

We tried to make our DS eat soilds at 7 months old because my milk was pretty much nothing because I was pregnant & DS was losing weight which was scary because he has always been bigger for his age & we ended up getting him to take bottles of soymlik (not soy formula) but he really didn't eat solids except occassionally. When he was a year old, DD was born & he gave up soymilk & solids & just nursed as my milk came in & he was in heaven, LOL! Now at 26 months he eats solids but not alot. He nurses on demand & several times w/i the hour as he nurses for small drinks & comfort as well. Boredom sometimes too. But an actual "full" nursing is every 1-2 hours. Our DD who is 14 months old, nurses about every 2 hours but if she gets a boo boo or she gets upset then she nurses sooner or sometimes if she sees big brother nursing she too wants to, LOL! DD is more into solids than DS. DS will eat more if it is off my plate or if I give him bites as he gets distracted. One thing we do is I put a bite on a fork & "fly" it around singing "I have a yummy bite of food, does anybody want it?" And when he smiles & opens up his mouth I say with happiness "Oh! You do?!" And repeat the process. Corny maybe but it works! DD awake, gotta go!

just make what they will eat as healthy as you can and try not to worry.
    I like to think that thier tummy is the same size of their little fist.
    That's not much food if you think about it.
    most kids have something that they will eat well.
    fruit or meats.
    are you sitting down and eating as a family? That helped my kids to sit at the table longer.