Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I still nurse my 19 month old son 'on demand' and in public - does anyone else?

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default I still nurse my 19 month old son 'on demand' and in public - does anyone else?

Hi mamas,

does anybody else still nurse toddlers in public? I don't personally know anyone else who does and I feel a bit lonely about this.

My 19 month old ds still nurses a lot, and always asks to nurse as soon as i collect him from nursery, so we sit down there and feed while i hear about his day. I'm beginningto feel as though people have 'opinions' about it.

I nurse wherever he wants in public. I do put some limits on, but only in that if i need the loo, or it doesn't make him really upset. he clearly still needs to nurse, and i respect and understand that.

Hmmm...guess i'm just getting to that point where i feel people looking and judging. But I don't want to bend to that! After all, they mean nothing to me - my son means everything.

I'd love to hear from other public nursing mums

Default Re: I still nurse my 19 month old son 'on demand' and in public - does anyone else?

We didn't stop NIP on a regular basis until Wyatt was probably 2 or 2.5. And even then, we would if he got hurt until he was 3. We haven't in a while now, but I *think* that if he really got hurt out in public now, I would nurse him if he asked. What you're doing sounds perfectly responsive and nurturing to me.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Default Re: I still nurse my 19 month old son 'on demand' and in public - does anyone else?

I nursed my kid in public until she stopped nursing at 3. I think the last time was when she accidentally ate some spicy food and was crying that her mouth was burning- and this was a huge nearly-three year-old who barely fit onto my lap. You're not alone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I nursed Lilah in public until she was about 2 years old.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I nursed my 3.5 YO in public, infrequently because he generally waits until we are home but it has been done.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Depending on the circumstances, I would definitely nurse Joe in public now, but we've cut back on our daytime nursing so much, the opportunity doesn't often come up. About four weeks ago, I actually nursed him to sleep at a local restaurant! I was amazed, since he doesn't go to sleep very easily at the best of times, but he had played VERY HARD at the park that day. It was also a great experience because the people around us had only sweet, nice things to say about my beautiful sleeping boy (they look so angelic in their sleep!!!) at the breast. I didn't feel any judgment about still nursing a two year old, only nice ladies commenting on how lovely he was. Other times, I have felt a little judgment, or least ... close scrutiny.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think you actually answered your own question, the ppl who might judge you mean nothing and your kid means everything, and you want to respond to your childs needs

I nurse my 20 month old on demand and in public and don't care who see it!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I nursed my last child in public in front of her school teacher on demand.
    i use the info today to comfort her and let her know how much she is loved.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I nursed my kid in public until she stopped nursing at 3. I think the last time was when she accidentally ate some spicy food and was crying that her mouth was burning- and this was a huge nearly-three year-old who barely fit onto my lap. You're not alone.
    hi mommal, so you nip until your ds was weaned? that's great! That's kind of what i see happening with Edward. glad i'm not alone x