Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is it ok to introduce peanuts?

Default When is it ok to introduce peanuts?

So far Clea has had no reactions to any foods. She got a little red around the mouth with hummus once, but she's never had any problems with it since then.

When are peanuts supposedly ok to introduce?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: When is it ok to introduce peanuts?

i gave max peanut butter around a year - seems that i've seen different recommendations, some say 2 years and some say not to wait to introduce potential allergens at all. So confusing! I did rub a little on his skin before to see if he reacted, but i'm not sure if that necessarily shows you? Wow. Not that helpful, huh?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    i gave max peanut butter around a year - seems that i've seen different recommendations, some say 2 years and some say not to wait to introduce potential allergens at all. So confusing! I did rub a little on his skin before to see if he reacted, but i'm not sure if that necessarily shows you? Wow. Not that helpful, huh?
    LOL. I've been reading conflicting things too! I was just thinking about you the other day, mama. I hope you are awesome.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I think the only risk is choking - I think the allergy recommendation has changed and we are no longer told to wait

Peanut butter is sticky (as we know) and I introduced it with apple slices so that the juice from the apply helped the peanut butter not stick to the roof of his mouth. Actual peanuts were less scary for me as ds2 chewed things well before swallowing them.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

DH is not hip to the latest recs, so he gave Joe a bite of pb&j when he was nine months old! He had no reaction, and now knows exactly what I'm talking about when I ask him if he wants a "PB and jizzle."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    That's probably good. I have a friend when her son was 10 months old he put his finger in her peanut butter. She did not let him eat it at that point, she was to nervous. Good thing though, about 10 min later he swelled up like a balloon. His throat did close slightly but not to bad. The ER doc said that it would have closed completely if he had eaten it. I think it all depends on the kid. But the skin test can be helpful.

We gave it to Lilah at around a year.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We did around a year too. No peanut allergies in our family so I wasnt' really worried about it. Started w/ PB and when she was able to chew nuts well, she could have the actual nuts. Probably closer to 2 for that when she had molars - although on the back of the peanut can it says not to give to kids under 6.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    LOL. I've been reading conflicting things too! I was just thinking about you the other day, mama. I hope you are awesome.
    so sweet! thank you! i am awesome (heee hee) and i hope you are too.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Its okay to intro it when you, the parent feel comfortable. The new reseach is showing that delaying introduction of food doesn't prevent an allergy from delveloping. So if there is no family history of allergies, that you could intro pretty much anything you want after 6 months. However, if you not comfortable, waiting until they can talk or communicate with you if there is a problem might be a good idea.
    DS1 got it around 1 and ds2 about 10ish months.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!