Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adventures in Night Weaning

Default Adventures in Night Weaning

So, I posted in a different area that I'm feeling touched out. I have read Jay Gordon's night weaning method many times over but never wanted to do it.

I didn't really have a plan to do this, but last night I finally had enough. I felt very calm about it and nursed her at midnight when I came to bed after working. She wanted to nurse again at 1 or so I believe. I finally just said that the milk was all gone and she could have it again when the sun came up. I truly have no idea if she understood this. She whined, cried and didn't want me to touch her, but she fell asleep. I honestly cannot tell you how many times she woke up asking to nurse. But it was a lot. I just kept saying the same thing about the milk being "all gone" and it would be back when it was daytime.

I woke up with her crying, and I could see it was daylight. I don't really know what time it was (I'm guessing 6 am ish) since I didn't have my glasses on. But she wasn't asking to nurse. She was just crying. I said, "The sun is out. Do you want your NuNus? Is that why you're sad? Are you hungry?" She happily nursed and fell back asleep for another 2.5 hours or so.

I realized how much she must be nursing at night, because when she woke up and I let her nurse when it was daylight I was seriously engorged. Like rock hard engorged. Clearly, I'm not exaggerating with how much it feels like she's nursing. I can't remember being that engorged in a very, very long time.

She's already probably nursed 4 times today and it's not even 1 pm here.

I don't know if I will continue on this path, but it feels good for now. I feel like it will help our daytime nursing relationship. I reserve the right to change my mind. lol I will try to post here how it goes. I feel a tiny bit sad, but mostly I just want to sleep.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Adventures in Night Weaning

I didn't have time to post the second night, but she did pretty well. She woke up twice asking to nurse and was ok with not nursing. I came to bed late and have agreed to nurse her once before I go to sleep.

Last night was night three. I feel kind of bad that now she's not even really asking to nurse when she wakes up. It's like she feels resigned to the fact that I'm telling her to wait until the sun comes up. I'm probably reading more into that. I dunno. I think she went about 5 hours of sleep without asking to nurse.

All this may go to heck this weekend. We are going out of town. We shall see how it goes.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Default Re: Adventures in Night Weaning

I am in the process of completely weaning my DD. We started with the Dr. Jay's night weaning back when she was about a year old, and then on and off again, but then for a few months she was sick, or teething, or sick, or something it seemed like. So we put it on hold. But then, just like you, one night I'd had enough of her having to have my nipple in her mouth all night long. So we started back on the night weaning plan and it was working. And then one day I decided she needed to sleep in her own room. She HATED her crib, so we took it down, put up a bed rail and from that day forward, she's been sleeping in her "big girl bed". She is nursing occasionally...but it's like, once she started sleeping in her own bed she stopped asking to nurse. Like MY bed was the catalyst for nursing. Today, for the first time, DH put her down for a nap and she actually slept! And tonight, she asked for him at bedtime, so he's upstairs doing bedtime duty and I'm down here on my computer! LOL. It's a process. And if something changes and you have to give in and nurse during the night, don't beat yourself up about it. It took us about 6 months to finally get it down. Good luck!
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!