Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    I'd love some thoughts/stories from parents with experience:

    My son was born six weeks premature, and he's been on EBM since birth. Growth has been astounding, so no issues with that. My doctor has advised me to EBF until DS' first birthday -- that is, no solids until he's a year old (doc said to use his date of release from the NICU as his birthdate for these things). He said that EBF will protect him immunologically in a way that will stop once I start introducing other forms of protein; this is especially important because we'll be traveling in India when he's about 8 months old (I do research there). He said this was especially important for Felix because he was premature.

    Now, I asked my LC about this and she, much to my surprise, said definitively no. She said that precisely because DS was a preemie, it may lead to iron deficiency -- as iron stores build up in baby in the last few weeks of pregnancy, which we missed out on. She said we should BLS, but not wait until a year.

    My understanding of BLS is that, often, babies don't really eat much for the first year anyway. But now my LC has me anxious about anemia. Have any of you dealt with any of these issues? I love my doctor for his support of EBF, but could he be taking it too far?

    Thanks!
    Kate

    Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

    We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    21,249

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    My understanding is that your LC's advice is correct on nutritional grounds. The AAP's policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk says that "Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186–187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.148,188–192 Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding."

    But it sounds like your doctor's argument in favor of keeping your baby EBF until a year was made not on nutritional grounds but immunologic ones. And whether or not his argument is correct... . In my experience, EBF is great but it doesn't keep a baby perfectly healthy forever. I mean, EBF kids get sick all the time. I personally don't see it as a good enough reason to delay introduction of solids much past your child's 6 month (corrected) age. Personally, I think solids aren't just useful for nutrition, but they're also a part of normal development. Allowing your child to experiment with new tastes and textures and motor skills is a useful learning experience. And it's not like not introducing solid foods will keep your child from putting all sorts of things in his mouth, so I'm not sure that being EBF means you avoid having forgeign substances in your gut.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,983

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    I'm a big proponent of offering solids when your child expresses an interest in them, and not by the book (or calendar). For some kids, that's earlier, for others, it's later. If your baby does not express much interest in solids until later, great. If he has low iron, you can always test for that and offer a supplement. I also agree that while the immunological benefits of breastmilk are awesome, that doesn't seem to stop us from getting sick all.the.time. I've always assumed those benefits were relative, not absolute, if that makes sense. You're still exposed to germs, you still get sick, but your immune system overall is healthier.


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,475

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    I'm middle of the road on this one. DD1 was premature. She just wasn't interested in solids at 6 months. Not.At.All. The way your LC says it, you should be pressuring your LO due to not getting those iron stores. I appreciate what your doctor said, although I doubt that it's realistic if your babe hasn't had any other issues, other than arriving early.

    I'd probably offer a cereal that is iron enriched. Your baby may not be interested until later, which is fine. But at least when they do start, you know you'll be supplementing their iron intake. Now you could offer meat as well, but since premies tend to be slow starters with solids, that's how I'd do it. My 2 cents at least.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

    Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    I'm middle of the road on this one. DD1 was premature. She just wasn't interested in solids at 6 months. Not.At.All. The way your LC says it, you should be pressuring your LO due to not getting those iron stores. I appreciate what your doctor said, although I doubt that it's realistic if your babe hasn't had any other issues, other than arriving early.
    So what did you do when your DD wouldn't touch solids at 6 mos (I assume you mean adjusted age)? Did she struggle with iron deficiency at all? I really can't see us getting to solids at 6 mos -- DS is big, but developmentally he is even a little behind his adjusted age peers -- within normal range, but on the slow end of the spectrum. I'm imagining that at 6 mos his tongue will push out any solids I put in his mouth and he'll make the sour face so far reserved for pacifiers. That said, at not yet 4 mos adjusted age he already watches like a hawk every bite I eat...

    Did you give your DD preemie iron supplements at all? We did until his due date, but then stopped when we stopped giving him bottles.
    Kate

    Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

    We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,475

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katmar View Post
    So what did you do when your DD wouldn't touch solids at 6 mos (I assume you mean adjusted age)? Did she struggle with iron deficiency at all? I really can't see us getting to solids at 6 mos -- DS is big, but developmentally he is even a little behind his adjusted age peers -- within normal range, but on the slow end of the spectrum. I'm imagining that at 6 mos his tongue will push out any solids I put in his mouth and he'll make the sour face so far reserved for pacifiers. That said, at not yet 4 mos adjusted age he already watches like a hawk every bite I eat...

    Did you give your DD preemie iron supplements at all? We did until his due date, but then stopped when we stopped giving him bottles.
    Nope. She was fine. We just periodically offered solids until she took them. It was a slow process. She really didn't pick up on solids until she was 11 months. Heck, DD2 has been the same way. There were never any issues with iron. I think people who apply calendars to babies need to relax. They'll do things in their own time. Offer, don't deny, don't pressure.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

    Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    My understanding is that your LC's advice is correct on nutritional grounds. The AAP's policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk says that "Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age.186–187 Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age.148,188–192 Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding."

    But it sounds like your doctor's argument in favor of keeping your baby EBF until a year was made not on nutritional grounds but immunologic ones. And whether or not his argument is correct... . In my experience, EBF is great but it doesn't keep a baby perfectly healthy forever. I mean, EBF kids get sick all the time. I personally don't see it as a good enough reason to delay introduction of solids much past your child's 6 month (corrected) age. Personally, I think solids aren't just useful for nutrition, but they're also a part of normal development. Allowing your child to experiment with new tastes and textures and motor skills is a useful learning experience. And it's not like not introducing solid foods will keep your child from putting all sorts of things in his mouth, so I'm not sure that being EBF means you avoid having forgeign substances in your gut.

    All good points. One of the reasons I wrote here was because, frankly, I don't accept the AAP advice unquestionably -- they do, after all, advise against cosleeping. Both DS and I would be in sad, sad shape if we didn't cosleep (but cosleeping I get around 10 hours of sleep a day!).

    I do like your argument about exploration. I also want food to be fun and social -- and I can't really imagine telling him no if he wants to try something (save all those things I'm not supposed to let him eat) ...
    Kate

    Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

    We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Nope. She was fine. We just periodically offered solids until she took them. It was a slow process. She really didn't pick up on solids until she was 11 months. Heck, DD2 has been the same way. There were never any issues with iron. I think people who apply calendars to babies need to relax. They'll do things in their own time. Offer, don't deny, don't pressure.
    This is great to hear. I'm with you on philosophy, all the way. There's so much fear mongering with preemies (high autism risk, etc), it's hard to know what to really listen to. And then there's my mother who suggested I give him rice cereal six weeks ago.

    It's really just weird doing something other than what is advised by our doctor.
    Kate

    Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

    We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Cal.
    Posts
    4,983

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katmar View Post
    I do like your argument about exploration. I also want food to be fun and social -- and I can't really imagine telling him no if he wants to try something (save all those things I'm not supposed to let him eat) ...
    This is the thing. As an academic exercise, EBF until a year could be totally awesome (barring any problems with iron). And a lot of babies will do this or almost do it on their own. But if your baby is super interested in food and is grabbing stuff off your plate and getting really excited about it, it can't be easy to say "no, honey, not until you're a year!" Plus, I trust babies to tell us when they're ready for solids. (Joe's never shown signs of food allergies, so the only food I held off on until he was a year was honey. He even got peanut butter before then - from DH, not me, but he loved it. Everyone is different, of course. And it seems like the recs are always changing too. Of course, if you're in India, you'll have to keep him away from some foods, like veggies washed in local water. )


    You can call me JoMo!

    Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    413

    Default Re: No solids for a year? Doctor and LC disagree!

    Just to be on safer side do a blood test aroun 9months period of time to make sure baby is not anemic.
    If I were you I will keep offering solids and allow LO to explore.Waiting for a year to offer solids and child picking up solid intake around 1 year are two different things.Maybe get a second opinon

    Thanks
    Mangai

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •