Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teething

Default teething

My LO is gonna be 4 month on July 14th.. I guess that the teething time s coming... Any advice??? I already buy the Orajel just to be prepared!!

Default Re: teething

Orajel is a numbing agent. If you put it on before nursing it can cause a bad latch because the baby can't feel their mouth properly in order to position it properly. SO be careful using that.

You may still have time anyway. Both my kids didn't get their first teeth until about 7 months. Are there any signs of teething yet?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

We never used any Orajel or anything similar . I just used my clean finger to massage her gums, I would also put my finger in ice for a few moments so it was cold.

I only have one advice. When DD started teething she went from nursing all day long to nursing only a few 4 times a day (she was 3-4ish months) and STTN. I though she was just changing her feeding patterns, but right now she's almost 10 months and has 4 teeth and still nurses every 3 hours and never ever STTN hihi. My point is that you must be careful with your milk supply, try to pump if she stops nursing one day .
    Last edited by @llli*yai; July 13th, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Thanks!
    No, my LO is not teething yet, I just want to know what to expect... Thanks to all for your advice... I think I am going to wash very well my fingers :-)

dont bother with orajel, especially if it has benzocaine in it. benzocaine is a BIG contraindicant for infants.

anyways, expect crankyness. your baby will want to put things in his/her mouth to chomp on. get water teethers if ou want, stick them in the friedge (not the freezer, thats too cold and too hard for somone so young) also, watch for those teeth to come in. one time Luna chomped on a teething ring right around when a tooth had just come in and talk about PISSED OFF BABY

also, when the teeth do cut, watch for fevers. it doesnt hurt to keep a bottle of infant tylenol around. also, cutting teeth can cause diahrea. Luna had a huge diarehal blowout after she cut her second tooth. pure liquid and bloody mucuos. it was not fun, thank god she wasnt on the couch.

little teeher's, soft rubber or wood is a good. not so thick, like those ring links that you attah to the baby seat or something like that works too.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

We've pretty much used Tylenol exclusively...The teething rings seem to piss him off because it makes the sides of his mouth cold too; do they make a paci-type thing with a gel in it that can be put in the fridge? That would be excellent!!!

Hang in there; the teeth thing is more of a war than a battle
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duggysmom View Post
    We've pretty much used Tylenol exclusively...The teething rings seem to piss him off because it makes the sides of his mouth cold too; do they make a paci-type thing with a gel in it that can be put in the fridge? That would be excellent!!!

Hang in there; the teeth thing is more of a war than a battle
    theres a paci type thing called the razzberry teether... theyre shaped like a pacifier except theyre made for chewing instead of sucking.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

We used tylenol or motrin (after 6 months) at night usually. Or I'm not sure if they are making them again - but Hylands teething tablets were good. Also i'd make some breastmilk popsicles or let her chew on some other frozen food - like bagels - french fries - fruit - but that was when she was a little older.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Teething has not been a fun thing in our house - when LO cut his top two front teeth (he has top two and bottom two and I can see the anchor teeth on top moving in)- we had our first ear infection...NOT FUN! With that being said - you can get these little pacifier looking things at Walmart that have a mesh bag on the end (with the sippy cups). Fill the mesh bag with cold fruit (pears and apples are favorites at our house) or veggies and let LO chomp away. You can also freeze breastmilk cubes and put them in there - good way to maximize breastmilk intake (albeit kinda messy). Keeps them happy and entertained for awhile. We also use Hyland's teething gel - like the tablets only in a gel form - Orajel gives LO the runs. There are also these teethers at Walmart that are shaped like Grapes or Strawberries, when LO bites down on them - they vibrate, massaging the gums - hands down the best teether in our house - same for my nephew. They are with the baby toys - around $6 I think. Good Luck Momma!
    Last edited by @llli*lb; July 13th, 2011 at 09:58 AM.