Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctors Continue to Amaze Me

Default Doctors Continue to Amaze Me

Over the past 2 days, I've had advice given to me from 2 different docs (one is my dentist) that I just had to share with all of you. I'm sure you'll get as much of as chuckle out of it as I did.

Quick background- my DS just turned 4 months on Monday. He's not sleeping through the night but goes about 4 hours, wakes to eat, about 2 hours, wakes to eat, and another 4 hours and wakes to eat. IMO, not to shabby!

Pediatrician: "I see that Keegan is not sleeping through the night. Have you tried rice cereal with him yet? Since he's got good head control and is watching you eat, you may want to try it. I bet he'll start sleeping better for you."

Dentist: after some quick chatting about our babies, asked if DS was sleeping through the night. After I said no, her response " You know at 4 months old, babies don't need to wake to eat at night anymore. They can sleep just fine through the night without food. Just let him be- he'll sleep for you."

Wow!! I kind of expected that from the ped since that seems to be popular belief these days, but the dentist?!? Oh boy...
    Keegan: February 27, 2011
    6 lbs, 14 oz & 19 inches long

Brennan: November 18, 2012
    7lbs, 4oz & 20 inches long

Default Re: Doctors Continue to Amaze Me

Did you call them on it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Jeez, I hate when docs say stuff like that! My standard response back in the early days when their sleep was inconsistent was "s/he sleeps great, thanks for asking!" And leave it at that. It always amazes me how people think it's such a hassle for babies to wake during the night?! Why do people think their parenting duties end at bedtime and that they shouldn't be held responsible for helping their child get to sleep? I feel like a broken record saying this, but babies will STTN when they are developmentally ready for it. Like walking, talking, and all milestones, we would not force them to try and do it sooner than they were ready for it. But for some reason people think that as soon as a baby is born they should be sleeping independently in their own bed??? I don't get it.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Sometimes I straight out lie..."Why, yes he is sleeping through the night", for instance, with cranky old ladies or people I don't know (who ask this question alot). My previous pedi, I didn't have to lie to, since he was 100% EBF supportive and didn't care about STTN. My current situation is different, since we are going to the health department for well baby at the moment (my DH is waiting for the insurance at his new job to kick in). I tell them he still wakes at night, that we co-sleep, and that I don't want their opinion on how to PARENT my baby, only on the HEALTH of my baby. Whether he is sleeping through the night or where he sleeps has nothing to do with his health. If he is gaining weight/height, and is happy and healthy that is what should matter to them, not his sleep pattern.
    EBFing my wonderful son, born 12/2010
    We CD, , Natural Birth, and
    Doula in MS/AL/TN tri-state area.
    Homebirth and Midwifery activist

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsbicedoula View Post
    Sometimes I straight out lie..."Why, yes he is sleeping through the night", for instance, with cranky old ladies or people I don't know (who ask this question alot). My previous pedi, I didn't have to lie to, since he was 100% EBF supportive and didn't care about STTN. My current situation is different, since we are going to the health department for well baby at the moment (my DH is waiting for the insurance at his new job to kick in). I tell them he still wakes at night, that we co-sleep, and that I don't want their opinion on how to PARENT my baby, only on the HEALTH of my baby. Whether he is sleeping through the night or where he sleeps has nothing to do with his health. If he is gaining weight/height, and is happy and healthy that is what should matter to them, not his sleep pattern.
    YES! The bolded statement are my thoughts exactly. I have had friends who told me "well, my pediatrician told me it was time to stop helping him get back to sleep at night." Really?! Since when are pediatricians parenting experts?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I'll never, for the life of me, understand why "Is he/she sleeping through the night"? one of the first questions people ask!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Thank you so much for this post! I thought I was the only one totally annoyed with the "how is your baby sleeping" question and endless suggestions to get him to sleep through the night. I have also started to respond that he sleeps great, but then I am asked how long! If it's ok for an adult to wake for a drink of water or a midnight snack, why is it so terrible for our lo's?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ilovemyzach View Post
    Thank you so much for this post! I thought I was the only one totally annoyed with the "how is your baby sleeping" question and endless suggestions to get him to sleep through the night. I have also started to respond that he sleeps great, but then I am asked how long! If it's ok for an adult to wake for a drink of water or a midnight snack, why is it so terrible for our lo's?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Yeah I was just informed by my pediatrician that my 5 month old son "should be able to go 4 hours without eating now". Really? Do YOU go 4 hours without even having something to drink??