Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moving with 18 month old

Default Moving with 18 month old

Hi ladies,

We moved into a new home about 2 weeks ago. My 18 month old upped her nursing which she hasn't done in a looong time to where she was (finally!) doing the "milk" sign to let me know. Well now that we're settled in...she's doing the opposite, hardly wants to nurse at all. She seems to really like the new house and her new play room that she never had before. She just runs around all day long playing and never stopping to ask for milk except for the usual (morning, before nap, bedtime). NOW this morning she jumped off my lap and ran around the room playing without a single drop of milk!!!!! First time she's never taken milk in the morning...I cried, I couldn't help it. I feel so rejected like she doesn't need me anymore!! Is it normal to up nursing during moving and then completely slack off afterwards? Is it just exploration? Or weaning.... If anyone has had a similar experience, I'd love to hear from you. Thank you for reading.
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Nursed DD1 for 28 months and am now nursing DD2 going on 8 months!

Default Re: Moving with 18 month old

Toddlers change their nursing frequency all the time. Teething, changes in their life (like moving), mastering new developmental milestones, illness- all these and more can impact nursing frequency. There's no reason not to continue nursing, and every reason to continue, so if you want your LO to keep going just offer the breast as often as you like and see what happens. Often toddlers are so busy that they forget to nurse, but you can remind your LO!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies. Yeah I think I'm having a harder time than she is She's refused to nurse again this AM, which is so sad, that was our best nursing time. She's just so hyper when she wakes up now and wants to go immediately and play and doesn't ask to nurse at ALL until I can FINALLY get her somewhat settled down before nap time. ...sigh

I guess I need to accept it instead of getting all worked up and emotional about it. I wonder if I need to pump now too? Or just go with the flow?
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas 12/26/09 and Ava Grace born 12/9/2013

Plus the more I offer the more she gets frustrated...so maybe I just need to back off (which is so hard!). And I really don't want to have to pump but I will I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    I always have a much, much harder time adjusting than the baby does!

About the pumping, are you working? Or are you just worried about supply in general? I guess my first thought is that you can keep relying on supply and demand in this case, if that's what you've always done, and go with the flow. How does your LO do with solids and water?
    Nope, SAHM right now I'm just worried about supply in general. I may just go with the supply and demand approach at this point. Sofia LOVES to eat and drink. BUT I also noticed that her intake on eating is majorly reduced these past two weeks as well. So it's not just nursing (this is what I'm trying to tell myself so as to not take it personal lol). Hmm...not really sure what's going on inside that little mind. :/