Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know if you need to supplement?

Default How do you know if you need to supplement?

and how much to supplement? DD is 3 months old and has been really fussy at the breast and I just have a feeling she is not getting enough. She's constantly pulling on and off and starts crying most of the time. This is been happening on and off for 2 weeks. I started back to work yesterday and left her 3 -4 oz bottles and she downed them all, and I was only able to pump 10 oz. yesterday total.......I'm not going to be able to keep up if this is how much she is going to eat. I'm also wondering if she wants to eat more than that and if I shouldn't leave her another bottle. I'm away from her from 7:30 - 5 and nurse her as soon as I return and just before I leave in the morning. Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: How do you know if you need to supplement?

Actually an oz for every hour your away should be enough. One of the problems w/bottles (and daycare providers) is that when drinking out of a bottle babies will just eat until they're gone. Instead of self regulating like they do at the breast. My son was like this at the bottle at this age. He'd drink 2 5oz bottle in a row if you feed him. But he didn't need that much and your baby probably doesn't either. He was a 15lb 3month old. I don't know who is caring for your baby and if there are other kids there or not. But often one of the problems w/ Daycare is they think that the bottles are the cure all. That if a baby fusses when done eating it means they need more food. This is often not the case. Especially w/BF children.They also expect them to go to sleep w/every bottle and if that doesn't happen...if your day care provider is taking care of more children than just your baby, just talk to her about the fact that your baby may need to be rocked to sleep after the bottle. Or walked around to stop crying or...Held more often!!!
    The was to tell if your child is getting enough is diaper out put and weight gain. If your getting at least 6wet diapers a day and one poopy one a week.Your baby is getting enough. There are plenty of reasons why she may be fussy at the breast. Including OALD or a SLOW let down. These are both things that just need your patience. If you have 10 oz. I would make 2 4oz bottles and one two oz and tell your sitter to PACE feeding her. Your baby absolutely doesn't need to "down" 10 or 12 oz!!! That's not what she'd be doing if she was eating from you directly. HTH.

How's her weight gain and output? Those are fairly reliable ways to tell if she's getting enough milk.

She's always gained about 4-5 oz/week and has stayed in her percentile......output seems normal. I just get stressed because she is so little and people are always commenting on it.....(Birthweight 7.12, dropped to 7.0 and now is 10.9).....she had seemed happed getting what she was until lately so I feel like maybe she wants to grow faster and isn't!

Don't take to heart any comments that people make when it comes to your baby, except of course the doctors. Sometimes people don't know what else to say so they say something that they think is harmless without realizing that it makes the mom nervous. If you are worried about her size, ask the doctor. They will be honest about her size and if they are happy with how she has progressed. For yourself, just keep an eye on her diaper output. Babies do go through growth spurts and may be a bit fussy for a couple of days until your millk catches up, but generally there is no reason to supplement. It's natures way and she won't starve. Good luck!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

If she's having lots of wet/poopy diapers and consistently gaining (like you said), it sounds like she's doing just fine and there's no need to think about supplements. It can be hard to have a little baby. People seem to think that all babies should be in the 95% but someone has to be in that bottom 10%! Try not to take the comments to heart.

As for the constent nursing, it's probably the 3 month growth spurt. I had forgotten about it or I would have mentioned it in my last post! Growth spurts can be exhausting for both of you. If you can, take her to bed with you and just nurse, nurse, nurse! Your supply will catch up with her demand in a couple of days.